Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Derplab 2020  (Read 2363 times)

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Derplab 2020
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 12:29:36 am »

Heh, while your suggested method is definatly not orthodox...it sounds like it might work.  Its pointlessly complex in that marvelously dwarfy way but then, so is the entire project.

G'Luck and let us know how many drowned :P
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

RevolutionaryDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2011, 01:53:39 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This image is from a concept fortress I built about a year ago. I just constructed walls in a deep pit above-ground, then used pumps to flood it with water from a brook.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2011, 02:50:09 am »

Indeed I had intended to do exactly that at one point (the test fortress there), on a grand scale. I got bored, it somehow devolved into chaos, and I abandoned it when a new version was released.

Never thought to collapse the ceiling above it though... You could actually dig out a huge pit around the city that has a more natural slope to it so that it doesn't look entirely ridiculous.

I would suggest that original plan as the safest bet, assuming you let the cavern fill with water before collapsing the roof, and collapsing it in smaller sections, you may negate a large portion of the fps hit.

Oh, and do be sure to engineer a waterfall of sorts through the roof that is funneled out the caverns/map edge.
More so; on the top of a 3x3 (or whatever other size, really) tower directly beneath the one-z natural wall cap, place some doors attached to a repeater, one in each of the cardinal directions, that permit water to relatively slowly flow into the center, which is a channeled out and lets the water cascade through the center of the tower on every z-level. By making this a hub of travel or somewhat open structure it could really be impressive, and of course the dorfs will love it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 03:00:32 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 [2]