Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weapons  (Read 1229 times)

tomblifter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weapons
« on: June 23, 2011, 10:16:17 am »

Is it possible for a regular weapon to become legendary? I have noticed in adventure mode, dwarves naming their weapons.
I've recently played a run run in adventure mode, killed a couple of titans and a dragon, and I noticed that if I examined my sword there was a kill list there. I couldn't find the sword anymore since a hydra tore off my sword arm on that adventurer, and probably ate the sword or something.

Also, what are the variables that alter weapon effectiveness and damage, apart from swordsmanship skill?

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weapons
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 10:58:28 am »

Have never seen a weapon get named in adventure mode, but am not saying its impossible.

The material seems to effect certain types of weapons damage versus armored/unarmored foes, blunt,edged/piercing. Go experiment in arena mode with different materials for weapons. Some of the results are decidedly odd. High craftmanship in a weapon, basically masterpiece and arti seem to effect the "to hit" bonus
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 12:32:33 am »

Have never seen a weapon get named in adventure mode, but am not saying its impossible.

The material seems to effect certain types of weapons damage versus armored/unarmored foes, blunt,edged/piercing. Go experiment in arena mode with different materials for weapons. Some of the results are decidedly odd. High craftmanship in a weapon, basically masterpiece and arti seem to effect the "to hit" bonus

What are these "odd" results? They all work the way you would expect them to.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

BunnyBob77

• Bay Watcher
  • The Lurkmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 05:06:35 pm »

Sorry, but weapons cannot be named in adventure mode.  As for what affects damage with swords:Fighter skill, swordsman skill, materiel sharpness for slashing and stabbing, weight for blunt, and our character's strength.  That would be what I can think of off the top of my head.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 05:14:16 pm »

I'm pretty sure skill doesn't affect damage directly, but rather how often you'll hit. It may also mitigate the damage penalty of non-square hits, but i can't confirm this. That being said though, a legendary axedorf would very likely have a much higher rate of damage than a novice, since he/she can land strikes that would be impossible for the novice, and thus can hit vitals/sever limbs with greater frequency. If you're legendary +5 in any weapon, you could land a headshot at just about any time you damn well please.
Otherwise, yeah.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

tomblifter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 05:43:44 pm »

Sorry, but weapons cannot be named in adventure mode.  As for what affects damage with swords:Fighter skill, swordsman skill, materiel sharpness for slashing and stabbing, weight for blunt, and our character's strength.  That would be what I can think of off the top of my head.

Sorry, I meant in fortress mode.