Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So does that metal glitch extend to 'Fun' Metals?  (Read 1962 times)

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So does that metal glitch extend to 'Fun' Metals?
« on: August 16, 2011, 06:40:37 pm »

Such as(Don't open that spoiler if you're one of those super-sensitive 'I can't bear seeing the names of materials that can be considered spoiling' types:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If so, I will immediately begin the production of four suits of Adamantite, plus spears to compliment them, for the upcoming SuperChild project which is being prepared.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: So does that metal glitch extend to 'Fun' Metals?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 06:44:41 pm »

I know you neep multiple wafers to make armor, not sure about weapons.
Also, bluemetal is not noticably better for armor than steel, so go for weapons first.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 06:50:23 pm »

I see, I see. Yeah, I'll certainly start with the weapons, then. The only kinds of weapons the Regular military gets, though..Are Artifacts. Adamantine will be unique to my test-subjects.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 06:50:41 pm »

Metal glitch? The one with the stacks of arrows?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 06:52:23 pm »

No, although if that one does work with Fun-stuff, then there is one reason to make fun bolts.
I mean the one where it only takes one of the wafer/bar/whatever to make it.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 06:55:34 pm »

I thought that was fixed a while ago? I've seen "Cancels forge armor: needs 2 bars" or whatever a few times before.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 06:57:10 pm »

I've seen a few other DF players talk about it, so I operate under the assumption that it still exists.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 06:58:11 pm »

If it was fixed, I never noticed.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 07:26:31 pm »

The bug with bolts is not fixed.

The bug with armor is not fixed; seeing "Needs 2 addy bars" or whatever means 2/150 of a bar, and will use the other 148/150 too.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 08:44:13 pm »

I don't know about that, GWG.  I had to smelt two iron ore before my armorsmith would make a mail shirt, but could have made two iron helms with the same number of iron bars.

I think the armor making requirements are working properly, even if the melting bolts bit hasn't been fixed yet.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 11:16:54 pm »

I don't know about that, GWG.  I had to smelt two iron ore before my armorsmith would make a mail shirt, but could have made two iron helms with the same number of iron bars.

I think the armor making requirements are working properly, even if the melting bolts bit hasn't been fixed yet.

He requires the two to exist but will still only use one. Watch him move only one bar to the smith.

spook54321

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 12:58:58 am »

No, it has not been fixed.
All furniture, armor, weapons, etc. that would normally require more than one bar of metal only require one bar.

He requires the two to exist but will still only use one. Watch him move only one bar to the smith.

This is asking for two 'bars' and invisible number attached to soap/charcoal/metal bars. Each item has 150 of these 'bars'
Creating a mail shirt requires 2/150 bars, and the reaction does not allow for leftover 'partial bars'.

Simple !!Science!!
-Start a new fort
-Get yourself a forge, etc.
-Make one unit of armor grade metal, but enough charcoal to make two pieces of armor
-Set your forge to make two mail shirts
-Observe as your smith creates the first mail shirt with your only unit of metal, then asks for two bars of metal for the second.
It's the same reason why sharks don't attack lawyers, professional courtesy.

This (small) sig of mine

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 01:14:37 am »

Yep, you do need to fulfill the requirements, but making anything still only takes one bar. As soon as you have 3-4 wafers, go wild. You can make anything for 1 bar an object/weapon/armour.

But honestly, take the above advice as well. Candy armour, whilst both good and very, very light, isn't actually all that good. Not compared to weapons anyway. The cutting attacks are amazing. With any cutting weapon really, especially those with either small contact areas, or largish areas on light, slow weapons.

Candy spears and picks are great. They'll chop/stab apart pretty much anything, even large things.
Candy axes and shortswords seem to work wonders as well.

As always (I tend to say this a fair bit), arm you squads with picks. Always hitting with a candy edge attack is amazing. Watch the limbs fly, the bleed-outs occur, spiky organ impalings and instant skull piercings. Seriously. Make 10+ picks instead of one full suit of candy dwarven armour. Your kill ratio will sky-rocket. Psycho-edge-always-used-attacks at good velocity. And there's not many things dwarvier really.
It's a game. Have fun.

lukasrygh23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 03:18:24 am »

Yep, you do need to fulfill the requirements, but making anything still only takes one bar. As soon as you have 3-4 wafers, go wild. You can make anything for 1 bar an object/weapon/armour.

But honestly, take the above advice as well. Candy armour, whilst both good and very, very light, isn't actually all that good. Not compared to weapons anyway. The cutting attacks are amazing. With any cutting weapon really, especially those with either small contact areas, or largish areas on light, slow weapons.

i thought that admantine armour could make you able to run through lava? (or was that just the admantine breastplate artifact from the bloodline game headshoots)
i dont tend to spoiler my text, i tell ppl the truth. how can u have spoilers in a sandbox(ish) game?