Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Random Siege Suggestions  (Read 1068 times)

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Random Siege Suggestions
« on: June 25, 2011, 07:16:43 pm »

Here's my random suggestions to Toady One for some Siege Improvements.

Currently sieges range from a group of easy peezy mace goblins to a group hard as slade crossbow gobs. Same with ambushes. I propose that sieges and ambushes come with varying weapons and skills from their entity. This way it makes the sieges more challenging by providing both ranged and melee units. Also making it seem more realistic.

Additionally there should be a [SIEGE_TIME:xxx] tag. This would come in handy for hit and run civilizations, and make the year round sieges more bearable if they were shorter for goblins, but longer for humans. This could be used on the kobold civ. As they don't have the strength to face a +steel armored+ dwarf head on, their best bet is to show up, kill the cattle, then flee before the plump helmets bloom.

Finally [SIEGES_YEARS_AFTER_EMBARK:xxx] tag would be nice as well. Along with the current setup, based off of wealth, population, and exports. The problem arises when certain mods have uber creatures that show up to early because of a first or second year artifact. A tag that restricts the civ from attacking until so many years after embark would make the civilization more controlled.

I have a handful of other ideas, but most of them would only apply to mods. I'm attempting to supply tags that could be useful with both mods and the vanilla. Thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
Re: Random Siege Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 07:34:43 pm »

Yes, yes, and yes.

An additional idea: Formations. Depending on certain tags, Humans may stay in formation, moving towards you as one, whereas Goblins will be all scattered and such.

Also, to fit in with both your first idea and mine, include tags to specify what they siege with. Like, Humans will have mostly rank-and-file soldiers armed with basically the same stuff, and they stay on formation, while Goblins are equipped with whatever they happen to loot beforehand, and aren't as disciplined.

Basically, have them in tags, instead of a hard-coded change.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 07:38:59 pm »

While I'm at it, a [CHANCE_OF_SIEGE:xxx] tag would be equally nice, instead of a 100% chance of a siege every season ad infinitum, goblins could have [CHANCE_OF_SIEGE:75] which would mean a 75% chance of siege, this would make sieges a lot more of a surprise instead of clockwork.

Great ideas 612DwarfAvenue.  :D

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 08:37:31 pm »

What about showing up with actual seige engines? I could see humans going all out and bombarding your fortress with high impact weaponry.
What monstrosities would walk the streets, were peoples faces as unfinished as their minds.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 09:18:20 pm »

^ I believe Siege Engines are planned for the future, but in the meantime we only have soldiers.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 10:06:40 pm »

What about showing up with actual seige engines? I could see humans going all out and bombarding your fortress with high impact weaponry.

Yeah it's planned, for reference here's all the stuff Toady has said under 'Improved Sieges'

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 03:14:30 am »

I will say that at the point when siegers are capable of using ladders, I want to be able to use ladders.

I will be very annoyed to find goblins scaling my walls if I still can't get Urist McUnforesightedMason down from a roof without launching a minor construction project.