Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vampires and the Mountainhomes  (Read 990 times)

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vampires and the Mountainhomes
« on: June 16, 2011, 12:18:17 am »

Recent updates on the main development blog have given me a few ideas. Since a Vampire could theoretically become a leader, suppose your Dwarven civilization happens to be ruled by a Vampire king. I think that a bit of interesting flavor could be, after your fortress' population has risen sufficiently, the liaison from the Mountain Homes demanding tribute in the form of dwarfs to be drained by the King.

A the dwarf to be taken ought be selected by the player, and being taken as tribute ought cause a bad thought in all of that dwarf's close relations, and possibly form grudges between the family and friends of the sacrificed and the current leader of the fortress. The numbers demanded each year by the mountain homes may continuously grow, until the player begins protesting against the tribute.

This should escalate to open conflict between the Mountain Homes and the player's fortress, ending perhaps with a siege lead by the vampire king himself. If he is killed in the process, peace is declared, and blood tribute ends.

Mainly, I'm interested in what other people think. Would this be a worthy idea to offer in the suggestion forms? Or, ought I just forget about it?
!!&!!

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
Re: Vampires and the Mountainhomes
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 12:38:39 am »

Oh, better far to live and die
Away from the sun that burns the sky,
Than play a sanctimonious part,
With a Vampire head and a Vampire heart.
Away to the cheating world go you,
Where Vampires ne'er are well-to-do;
But I’ll be true
To the song I sing,
And live and die
A
Vam
pire
King.

For IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII AM A VAMPIRE KIIIING
And it is,
It is,
A glorious thing to be a Vampire King
Oh I am a Vampire King
(He is, hurrah for the Vampire King!)
And it is,
(It is!)
A glorious thing to be a Vampire king
Hurrah for the Vampire King
Hurah for the Vaaaaampire King!

When I sally forth to seek my prey
I help myself in a royal way.
I bite a few more Urists, it’s true,
Than a well-bred monarch ought to do;
But many a king on a gemstone throne,
If he wants to call his crown his own,
Must manage somehow
To get through
More dirty worrrrrrk
Than ever
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
do.

FOOOOR IIIIIIIII
AM A VAMPIRE KIIIIING
And it has, it has, a glorious ring, the name of VAMPIRE KING
For I am a Vampire King
(Oh Yes, All praise to the Vampire King!)
And it is,
(It is!)
A glorious thing to be a Vampire king
(Huuzah!)
Hurrah for the Vampire King
Hurah for the Vaaaaampiiiiiiiiiiiire

KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 12:42:12 am »

(this probably belongs in the suggestion forum)

I like the idea. Vampires would go back to being awesome instead of being twilight emos. I disagree with how you feel that dwarves or humans should lead sieges themselves. That's something that only goblins should do. Killing a human or dwarven ruler should require sending an army to their little hideout fortress when the army arc rolls around.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 12:58:45 am »

I like the idea. Vampires would go back to being awesome instead of being twilight emos. I disagree with how you feel that dwarves or humans should lead sieges themselves. That's something that only goblins should do. Killing a human or dwarven ruler should require sending an army to their little hideout fortress when the army arc rolls around.

You've clearly never heard of all the Kings who died in battle. This happened. All. The. Time. So yes, yes leaders SHOULD lead sieges.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 02:09:54 am »

1. This is mainly to gauge opinion and gain more ideas before I make a longer write up on the idea.

2. My reasoning for why the king would be leading the siege is because it is about enforcing his will on territory that belongs to him. This would be the king of your civilization, who happens to be a vampire, and whom you have offended by refusing to offer tribute. I feel he would have strong incentive to enforce his will personally.
!!&!!

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 04:47:53 am »

Maybe you could become known as the one place that stands against the king, and you start to attract more migrants who also want to see him dead.

Perhaps you could win the war simply by winning the hearts of his troops!
[Signature]