Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trying to grant safe outside access for my dwarfs  (Read 907 times)

ETV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trying to grant safe outside access for my dwarfs
« on: June 14, 2011, 09:04:59 am »

Basically my style of play usually has dwarfs going all over the map and I like to have good outside access, but this also has the disadvantage of ambushes and sieges screwing me, so I set about a way of granting my dwarves full access to all but a tiny fraction of the outside world.

I channelled as close to the edge as possible, only 1 Square and then removed all but 3 Upward ramps from this channel, then I'm building a wall directly into my fortress from this area of ramp, if the construction is too close to the edge I can always channel an a 3x3 area until the boundaries aren't an issue with very minimal effort.

Since the only part of the map available would be my fortress though, blocking me from going out into a very large portion of the outside! So before the wall is completely constructed I'm building an additional exit, this should be safe from anything but flying units (I'm playing genesis mod so mind flayers could be an issue but not much else), and will mean to get outside in the large outdoor area anything would need to run through that corridor, allowing for safe outside access.

What I am wondering though is if it'll work!

Has anyone else tried doing this, and if so, how did it turn out?
Hello.

jrmy

• Bay Watcher
  • on break
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to grant safe outside access for my dwarfs
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 12:10:57 pm »

I could be reading this wrong, but it sounds like you just want to wall off your map. you can actually achieve this by placing raising bridges on the edges of the map (must retract in the direction of the edge). you should probably leave a gap somewhere so the caravans/sieges can appear, but I guess that's up to you.

it works fine, but the game becomes incredibly boring.

ETV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to grant safe outside access for my dwarfs
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 12:50:07 pm »

I could be reading this wrong, but it sounds like you just want to wall off your map. you can actually achieve this by placing raising bridges on the edges of the map (must retract in the direction of the edge). you should probably leave a gap somewhere so the caravans/sieges can appear, but I guess that's up to you.

it works fine, but the game becomes incredibly boring.

I did not intend to block all access as I want to be catching animals at some point, but I still wanted a way to wall off parts of the map to make spawns (particularly sieges and ambushes) much much more predictable.

Just because I can make someone take a specific path it wouldn't necessarily mean I can defeat all attackers because of that, which is where lots of traps come in later!

Then there is caverns which contain lots of fun and I intend to mine adamant later so there is also potential for much HFS.

My "wall in" only prevents land siegers taking a path to my fort I don't want them to as it is basically a channel around the edge with only 3 wide ramps that go into an outside constructed corridor (and into my fortress) essentially meaning attackers will still post a lot of threat but they wont  kill my woodworkers/outside gatherers like they normally always do, and the dorfs wont get trapped outside either because the only entrance into that big outside expanse is essentially through the fort itself.

susceptible to mind flayers though which are present in genesis mod I use.
Hello.