Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which idea do you prefer?

The first, I'd like to know more about colossi.
The second, I want to see a wider variety of megabeasts.
Either one, or both.
Neither, it's fine as it is.
Other (State in thread, please).

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Colossi  (Read 3010 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Colossi
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 05:25:19 am »

One of the major differences between Titans and Colossi is intelligence.

Colossi are unintelligent creatures similar to that of insects that will follow a preprogramming basically forever.

Titans however have intelligence and will have things like motives as well as the ability to manipulate their surroundings and alter their strategies based on the situation.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 05:28:12 am by Neonivek »

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 09:21:51 pm »

Colossi are unintelligent creatures similar to that of insects that will follow a preprogramming basically forever.

Titans however have intelligence and will have things like motives as well as the ability to manipulate their surroundings and alter their strategies based on the situation.

This is probably true. Although Titans seem to have more of a low animal cunning then sentience, seeing how dorfs will happily butcher them, after all.

Colossi also remind me of iron men, which are just as mysterious. Not sure what to make of them, but I suppose they could be related to bronze colossi?

Iron men release gas if damaged, not sure what to make of that either.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 09:30:16 pm »

This is probably true. Although Titans seem to have more of a low animal cunning then sentience, seeing how dorfs will happily butcher them, after all.

Colossi also remind me of iron men, which are just as mysterious. Not sure what to make of them, but I suppose they could be related to bronze colossi?

Iron men release gas if damaged, not sure what to make of that either.
I've always thought of the Iron men and Bronze Colossi being mechanical rather than statue like.
I think that gas could just be smog produced from the engine.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 02:21:53 am »

In recent thread http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85601.0 someone reported encountering a steel megabeast, and it was night-unkillable. A BC is a formidable foe. A steel or funobtanium one could be dealt with engineering, but not military. I kinda like the line of thought that a few dozen champions in masterwork steel / funobtanium can take dow any single threat.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 10:52:53 am »

Another possibility occurs to me. We know that good and evil biomes are going to receive a bit of an overhaul in a future version, so perhaps areas with the right kind of aura or background magic or whatever you want to call it could cause certain kinds of statue to become animated? Whether or not they became hostile afterwards could depend upon the nature of the biome and the creature being depicted; a living sculpture of a cow would be a harmless -if presumably somewhat unnerving- novelty, whereas a statue of a megabeast springing to life in the dining hall would cause no end of Fun. This could even tie into ghosts as an alternative to hauntings; a berserk dwarf strruck down by the fortress guard and left unburied could possess a statue as an alternative to mere hauntings.

Ideally, the first statue spontaneously animating itself would trigger a filter that prevented statues of anything dangerous being created unless the player specifically commissioned one.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!
Pages: 1 [2]