Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shoothealed [31.25] - A steel site, finally!  (Read 1050 times)

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
Shoothealed [31.25] - A steel site, finally!
« on: June 29, 2011, 07:30:11 am »

Here you can follow the rise and fall of Shoothealed, my first promising looking embark on a site suitable for steel industry.

Comments and suggestions for improvements and further progress are most welcome.

Part 1: Choosing the embark spot
The start of a new world in Dwarf fortress, First embark after 1050 years of generated history.

Part 2: Assigning jobs, choosing embark equipment
Here we learn about our seven Dwarves, we assign them jobs, and select the embark equipment.

Part 3: Frozen water
Fort building begins here. We find frozen water underground, designate some space to be dug out for our future farms and temporary stockpiles, appointing our manager.

Part 4: Digging stopckpile space
Building first workshops, making furniture, beds, digging more space.

Part 5: Making furniture, Ice Melts
Building first workshops, making furniture, beds, digging more space.

Part 6: Farming starts
We build our farms. we have problems placing the seeds next to the fields, though. Placing floodgates for our farm.

Part 7: Planning
Linking the floodgates to our farm. Planning further progress.

I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
Re: Shoothealed [31.25] - A steel site, finally!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 06:51:01 am »

I want to share a youtube comment on one of the videos, written by visioncalme:

"Today the lads and me were sitting on a piles of useless cloth in the wheelcart. One of the first thing the commander did was order us to place a chair in the middle of a dirt hole. From where he promptly proceeded to sit on - he called it "his office" and promptly sat on it and started giving us orders to cover all stairs with pointless hatches He had the mechanic running around a corridor for nothing. Pretty sure the guy is cloth obsessed, he says to stop sitting on it, too promising he said.

More of these, pls (-:
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile
Re: Shoothealed [31.25] - A steel site, finally!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 01:22:13 pm »

I have a well-designed fortress into its third year that is also very suitable for steel as it has LOADS of hematite and flux stone. It's also situated next to a brook, and can isolate itself from the mainland.