Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: slime problem  (Read 1049 times)

Lurking Grue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
slime problem
« on: June 11, 2011, 03:37:38 pm »

so I was making some slime type creatures "inspired" after playing Terraria and it seems to work just fine no problems and nothing in the errorlog, But for some reason when ever I see one or spawn them in arena mode when you look at it with v - z it always puts its slime colour in the description as Amber.
I was hoping one of you fine and helpful people might be able to point out whatever blindingly obvious mistake I've made and tell me how to fix it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Alem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: slime problem
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 03:42:05 pm »

I am not terribly experienced on this part, but it does appear that the line "GREEN-YELLOW" could be responsible for some buggy behavior. A typo I have to watch myself for all the time :)

Lurking Grue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 03:55:51 pm »

hmm I did looked at the descriptor_color_standard.txt and it says...

[COLOR:GREEN-YELLOW]
   [NAME:green-yellow]
   [WORD:GREEN]
   [WORD:YELLOW]
   [RGB:173:255:47]

I'll take it out and see what happens.

edit:

No change.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 04:01:49 pm by Lurking Grue »

Alem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 05:22:51 pm »

I played around with it some and I cannot figure out whats not working either unfortunately. I don't understand creature modding yet enough to be of much help :(. I tried referencing the floating guts from the next underground, but I'm not certain if the way its set up is what you are aiming for.

I did manage to find a link on the forum to a project to include a large variety of blobs, jellies, and slimes, found here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=76322.0 Something from this might be able to help you figure it out.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 05:39:59 pm by Alem »

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 01:23:05 am »

It might have something to do with your lack of gender casting and caste-selecting.  Try putting the line [SELECT_CASTE:ALL] before the SET_TL_GROUP line and see what happens.  Your lack of gendering might have something to do with it.  I noticed you've unbracketed NO_GENDER, and the only occurance I've even seen that tag in the raws is for the fictional Chimera.  I'm not sure how it works in-game, if at all.

Your error logs should also bring something up.  Can you put one in the Arena, quit, and post what the errorlog states (if anything)?

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 06:55:54 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

^Use that instead, and you'll be set. It's not about gender, it's about Castes. Casteless creatures (like the fire imp) currently suffer from a bug where their descriptions are all amber. you just need to toss a single caste in there and you're set.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Lurking Grue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 08:06:33 am »

So not having a caste was the problem? Ok thanks for all of your help with that.

A couple of more things.

1:Do they NEED to have a solid tissue outer layer rather than being liquid all the way through to be able to actually hit for damage in combat? Since their attacks just about always just glance off and changing their body size has no effect on this.

2: when defining a tissue layer is [RELATIVE_THICKNESS:] a measure of the percentage of body volume that the tissue takes up or what?

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: MODDING_UNDWARFY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 10:23:22 am »

So not having a caste was the problem? Ok thanks for all of your help with that.

A couple of more things.

1:Do they NEED to have a solid tissue outer layer rather than being liquid all the way through to be able to actually hit for damage in combat? Since their attacks just about always just glance off and changing their body size has no effect on this.

2: when defining a tissue layer is [RELATIVE_THICKNESS:] a measure of the percentage of body volume that the tissue takes up or what?

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Tissue_definition_token
[RELATIVE_THICKNESS:] - The thickness of the tissue. A higher thickness is harder to penetrate.
--
Eldrick Tobin
Behold the unimpressive Aspectus Lolin mod. || My Little Arachnid Fortress attempt...
I mumble to myself on tumblr... Sometimes about DF Modding.