Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tripwire triggers  (Read 2158 times)

Barnox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tripwire triggers
« on: June 22, 2011, 04:44:21 pm »

As an easy way to set up a trap:
A tripwire trigger.

Made from string or rope (whichever is more balanced), it is a one-use trap that breaks after use.
It is pretty much a non-customisable pressure plate (which ignores friendlies (who know who it is) and breaks on enemies).

Fluids of 3/7 and above would break it, due to it being sensitive.
Breaking due to triggering, heat or wearing out would trigger the trap it is connected to, or drop the door it is holding up.

The reason for this would be to enable a fast setup of traps in early-game, or in low-rock environments.
The upsides would be that it is easy to set up, easy to get the materials for.
Downsides are that it triggers due to anything non-your-civ passing through it, and has to be completely replaced.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: Tripwire triggers
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 05:15:27 pm »

Anything to make setting pressure plates easier.

However, most trip wires aren't meant to break though. When someone trips them, their foot is caught, the wire is intact. They look down and by then the trap is already on them. Instead it should be a sort of manually set trap. A dwarf has to go down there and reset it once it's set. I would prefer it worked like pulling a lever so Urist McRandomdrunk doesn't go into the middle of the magma sea to pull the wire.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 07:39:49 pm »

I think this is a reasonable idea, if just to have an alternative to pressure plates.

Thing is, trip-wires are sort of a modern concept, where stepping on a string can pull the trigger of a shotgun, pull a grenades out of a can nailed to a tree or dump a bucket of water on a roommate's head.

A trip-wire that opens a steel flood-gate or shoots spears out of the floor might not be as realistic...

But, idk.

Barnox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 07:12:19 am »

I was thinking more having it set up for specific actions.
The tripwire pulls things out of their default position (pulls a door open, pulls a stone trap up).
To do it the other way round, install a spring (the spring forces the spears in a spear trap up, the tripwire holds them down).

Maybe combine string and a spring for a noose trap.

Then again, maybe these tripwires are unrealistically weak.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 10:52:32 am »

trip wire traps aren't THAT new of a concept >> they're a little younger than pitfalls. Actual trip falls in the form of "ropes you string at about knee height for horses that are near invisible and snap to wrap around the horse's legs" are pretty damn old >>

also suggestion. Make them work like a 1 shot pressure plate. You can adjust the size the same way you adjust the size of the axles (only in one direction at  time really) Thus enabling you to string them across hallways :3
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 08:40:40 pm »

A trip-wire that opens a steel flood-gate or shoots spears out of the floor might not be as realistic...

You're worried about THAT being unrealistic? This is a game where you can build a huge fortress in the sky that's held up by a single columm of soap supports, and where a thousand Dragons can fit into a single tile, yet falling a single tile does no damage.

My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 08:46:45 pm »

You're worried about THAT being unrealistic? This is a game where you can build a huge fortress in the sky that's held up by a single columm of soap supports, and where a thousand Dragons can fit into a single tile, yet falling a single tile does no damage.

Yeah, but all that stuff is because DF is a half-finished game, full of place-holders, compromises, oversights and engine limitations.

No need to put in something new that is unrealistic.

Then again, with trip-wires, you could argue that its just a trigger that causes some other mechanism to close the flood gate, push the serrated disks out of the floor. Like pushing a button, I guess.