Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for able-keyboarded coders...  (Read 1325 times)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Looking for able-keyboarded coders...
« on: June 12, 2011, 01:16:20 pm »

While I do think this might be a lost cause, I guess it can't hurt posting a thread.

The point is, me and a few other people from the simtropolis community are considering starting a project to make an open source (?) clone of simcity 4 (with improvements included obviously). The problem is, while we do I have a couple of people that know the innards of simcity's simulation like the palm of their hands (so we could in theory reconstruct a game much similar to it), we don't have anyone capable of coding. And without even a simple alpha release trying to attract coders to help on the project is unfeasible.

Given how we seem to have a lot of people who know how to code here at bay12 I guess it can't hurt to ring around asking if anybody is interested.

So yeah, if anybody is interested do post here and/or contact me  :o
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 02:24:46 pm by Djohaal »
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for able-keyboarded coders...
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 01:35:39 pm »

I think we probably need more info. What kind of experience are you looking for? C++, Java, C#, etc.?

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 01:39:14 pm »

I find it interesting that a lot of projects are either started by programmers, or are looking for programmers. Valuable commodity huh?

Sorry, cant program myself so nothing else to add.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 01:41:57 pm »

I find it interesting that a lot of projects are either started by programmers, or are looking for programmers. Valuable commodity huh.

Because you need programmers to make anything. You can have all the graphics, sound, etc. in the world but without a programmer to bring it together it's pointless.

And programmers can usually do their own rudimentary graphics and sound if they need to. They're wizards.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 01:46:50 pm »

I think we probably need more info. What kind of experience are you looking for? C++, Java, C#, etc.?

Well from the little I talked with some code people, we'd need someone skilled in one of the C languages, so either C# or C++

And yes, coders are a prized commodity nowadays. It's specially true on the simcity community since we have more artists than we need and not enough coders. If someone could make an engine, doing content to fill it would be the smallest issue, since we have some 3 3dsmax wizards who can easily write a plugin for it to export into a format the so-said engine would use. Finding able coders to make the game's engine is a different business though  :(
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 02:15:25 pm »

Try moving this to Creative Projects. It should attract more attention over there (Actually, less attention, but the attention of at least a few programmers.).

I'm pretty good with C, but I'm never focused enough to keep working on a single project for longer than a week or two.

Gimhalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 02:19:58 pm »

Ehhh, you won't necessarily need someone with C++ knowledge if you want to use an already-built engine. If you wanna go with Ogre3D or Unity or something then you can probably teach yourself enough programming to get by. In fact, I recommend taking a look at the free versions of these programs and going through some tutorials. It sounds like the guys you have now might be able to use it just fine.

But if you're trying to build an engine from scratch and need someone to do it in C++, you're going to either need a very, very dedicated programmer or a team of programmers. Building a game from the ground up takes a lot of work, and just building the engine for one guy is a daunting task. If there are enough interested people, it's probably the best way to go, but honestly there's a lot of people out there that say "we have a great concept and the art assets but we just need programming talent" that never get off the ground.