Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Giant badgers?  (Read 2562 times)

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Giant badgers?
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 02:04:58 pm »

Ok, then your alternative is to equip every single dwarf with armour and weapons from the very start (yes, you can bring quite a lot of copper ore on embark). Your miners and woodcutters will be a liability as they can't wear a uniform while working but miners have no reason to be near the badgers anyway.
If you're going to bring ore on embark, you should bring both copper and tin ore and make bronze. Since you can smelt bronze directly from ores, 2 bars of bronze is actually slightly cheaper than 2 bars of copper, and better for equipment as well. This is because it costs 2 fuel to smelt 2 copper ore to 2 copper bars, but only 1 fuel to smelt 1 copper ore and 1 cassiterite to 2 bronze bars.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 09:28:02 am »

First Elephants, then Carp, now Badgers - what will the next most unexpectedly lethal animal be?

Hopefully never elves... 

i think when carnivorous animals get really predatory behaviour and proper pack hunting, they'll be quite lethal. wolves will be dangerous, lions deadly, and giant lions just outright SHUT THE DAMN DOOR RIGHT NOW!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 09:33:47 am »

GET IN THE CAR!

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 09:35:07 am »

JESUS CHRIST ITS A LION!
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Cpt.tazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 08:37:02 am »

I recommend embarking with a Hunter. Give him a point each in butchery and tanning for the sake of convenience, but he'll bring his own equipment if he has mostly ambusher points. Make him militia commander and build him a nice archery target early on. Also, bring a bone/woodcrafter for a steady supply of bolts.

The only other thing to watch for is weaponsmithing. If your Hunter embarks with a copper crossbow, you're going to need something more substantial.

actually.. badgers took down a seasoned hunter with bronze bolts... and expert marksmanship, only one of them was injured in the fight, and still lived after many bolts were shot right into it... even 2 war dogs accompanying him were killed
Got a pterodactyl with a knobby turtle shell composed entirely of vomit in my caverns. Apparently it moves deliberately. It's teamed up with a giant steam shrimp.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where you aren't hallucinating.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 12:47:52 pm »

Badgers are like the striped wookies of the DF world. They tear your arms off, defeat enemies with superior technology, and have insane amounts of 'em just waiting for the chance to eat your children.
In other news, the best way to eliminate them is MAGMA.
But you knew that already, didn't you?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 12:54:01 pm »

actually.. badgers took down a seasoned hunter with bronze bolts... and expert marksmanship, only one of them was injured in the fight, and still lived after many bolts were shot right into it... even 2 war dogs accompanying him were killed
Crossbows are incredibly pants right now.  They don't do squat unless you get a fantastic hit, in which case they're insta-kill.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 03:10:33 pm »

I recommend embarking with a Hunter. Give him a point each in butchery and tanning for the sake of convenience, but he'll bring his own equipment if he has mostly ambusher points. Make him militia commander and build him a nice archery target early on. Also, bring a bone/woodcrafter for a steady supply of bolts.

The only other thing to watch for is weaponsmithing. If your Hunter embarks with a copper crossbow, you're going to need something more substantial.

You missed the point. If you have a dwarf carrying out the Hunting job AT ALL then you're asking for him to die at some point. The point of embarking with a hunter is the free equipment. You disable his hunting job immediately so he doesn't go wandering around with all that equipment. Forge some bronze armour and select a dwarf to be a soldier who uses the crossbow. Now you have a manual-mode, no-stealth hunter who can tank badger attacks. Ideally, find or bring enough ore to outfit a second soldier in melee gear so your marksdwarf can keep shooting.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Cpt.tazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2011, 09:55:01 am »

sounds like a good idea.. ill give it a go but i tested a fully bronze geared recruit against some giant badgers, and he died extremely fast, if this stuff carrys on im probably just gonna wall off like you first suggested.. its getting rather annoying

You missed the point. If you have a dwarf carrying out the Hunting job AT ALL then you're asking for him to die at some point. The point of embarking with a hunter is the free equipment. You disable his hunting job immediately so he doesn't go wandering around with all that equipment. Forge some bronze armour and select a dwarf to be a soldier who uses the crossbow. Now you have a manual-mode, no-stealth hunter who can tank badger attacks. Ideally, find or bring enough ore to outfit a second soldier in melee gear so your marksdwarf can keep shooting.
Got a pterodactyl with a knobby turtle shell composed entirely of vomit in my caverns. Apparently it moves deliberately. It's teamed up with a giant steam shrimp.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where you aren't hallucinating.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2011, 01:02:55 pm »

Strange. I've embarked in all kinds of areas but I can't remember the last time my Hunter died. Hunting dogs, sure.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2011, 08:43:14 pm »

Strange. I've embarked in all kinds of areas but I can't remember the last time my Hunter died. Hunting dogs, sure.
I have a nasty habit of losing at least one Hunter to a Cougar at every Fort.

My guess is she as wearing ☼Pigtail Socks☼ and he got distracted...

protoman88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 10:15:12 pm »

i just got rocked on my embark by giant zombie Badgers.  Good FUN! thats for sure haha.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2011, 10:45:34 pm »

JESUS CHRIST ITS A LION!

Urist McMayor enters "refuse stockpile" section of his home.

Urist McMayor: AWW MY GAWD! (slams door)

Urist McServant: Whats wrong sir?

urist McMayor: There's a jungle cat in the bathroom!

Just couldn't resist.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.
Pages: 1 [2]