Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to make dwarfs use different items?  (Read 405 times)

BossChase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to make dwarfs use different items?
« on: June 09, 2011, 12:50:13 am »

I started off with copper picks and now I've built steel ones... None of my miners decided to use them so I marked all their copper picks to be dumped.

They didn't dump them. =(

Any idea how I can make them start using the new picks?

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
Re: How to make dwarfs use different items?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 12:54:11 am »

Well, you ought to have put this in the Gameplay Questions thread instead. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=7.0

Building steel picks was an utter waste of resources, all picks work exactly the same. If you must have use only steel, go (z) into your stocks screen, scroll around until you find picks (might be under weapons), and forbid all the non-steel picks. Again, though, just melt the damned things unless you plan to have an emergency miner-only army squad.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: How to make dwarfs use different items?
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 01:25:37 am »

Steel picks can save your miners.  The mining skill is a weapon skill, and a miner against a blind cave ogre (or three) will fare better with steel.  Not to mention, it's nice to upgrade.  If you've got steel to spare, why not!

The dump command issues someone to dump it, as long as there's a valid garbage zone.  Someone else in the fort (not the miner) will come along and haul it away, which will trigger the miner to re-equip.  Alternatively, forbid your copper picks, then turn mining off, then turn it back on.

This is a fine place to ask.  Sure it -may- be better in another forum, but we're a small enough community that it doesn't matter much.  We're still getting flooded with tons of "my animals are fighting" posts, so a valid equipment thread is perfectly fine.