Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Recommend me a mod, guys.  (Read 2120 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend me a mod, guys.
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 05:36:36 am »

My only problem isn't about genesis, it's that I dunno if I can handle a full blown siege (sieges tend to happen monthly), and that I tend to mod my game, and I might be wasting my time modding, since necros and vamps are fast approaching.
Why would that be wasted modding time? It just means you'll get undead in many more flavours than just the vanilla races.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 10:45:44 am »

If dig Dwarfier were out for .25, I'd go with that one.  It's available for 40d only so far as I know.

So would I. The included graphics for the orcs were a little weird at first (big, slack-jawed ogre cows), but I quickly got quite fond of them.

Genesis and FD are popular. Genesis adds a ton of new civs and variety in everything, and FD focuses on new civs at various difficulties. Do give some of the other, newer mods a try though.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 10:55:57 am »

FD focuses on expanding the military circuit while keeping vanilla methodology intact.  Genesis seeks to completely redefine the game.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 12:59:27 pm »

I recommend Civilization Forge, adds a lot of stuff while not changing the vanilla stuff too much. Genesis is good, but I dislike the training workshops and I just hate tilesets (and am too lazy to change it to ASCII myself).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 01:59:56 pm »

I like Civilization Forge as well because it doesn't change anything drastically - it stays true to vanilla Dwarf Fortress's theme, just with "more stuff." Things like more metals to bridge the gap between iron and steel or steel and adamantine; more civilizations (both friendly and hostile) to make trading and sieging more interesting; some new workshops and reactions to make the economy more complicated if you want it to be (completely optional), and so on. All in all it's still very Dwarf Fortress, there's just more of it.

By the way it's available by default in pure ASCII, but if like me you prefer graphics, I put together a Mayday version linked below (in sig).
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 02:14:32 pm by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.
Pages: 1 [2]