Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to get unlimited embark points/more dwarves for project?  (Read 14663 times)

Enatai

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_MODDING]
    • View Profile
Re: How to get unlimited embark points/more dwarves for project?
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 06:51:06 pm »

Editing speed is probably the biggest (and by biggest I mean most clearly effective, and therefore clearly unfair) cheat you could possibly mod, and I think it's one you should -strongly- consider doing in this case, if time is the issue.  Just a warning if you aren't THAT big on cheating, it's also next to impossible to play Dwarf Fortress with regular, unmodded dwarves after having experienced the joy of a fortress full of dwarves on crack, and I for one simply don't have the kind of time in my day to sit there waiting around for the dwarves just to get from Point A to Point B.  It's even easier in 40d to figure out how, too, since the speed tag is already in there (unlike in 2010 where I kept trying to figure out whether just adding [SPEED:0] would work).  Seriously, you'll crap your pants at how fast they move, it's borderline teleportation if your frame rate is good.  Also, never go up against a speed-modded dwarf, they can outrun and out-attack anything.

I don't know how to give you more dwarves, but I -do- know how to get you unlimited embark points, the only thing is it involves using Cheat Engine, which is a third-party program.  It's fairly simple to use once you get the hang of it, you just basically find Dwarf Fortress on the program list (you should have Dwarf Fortress open to the "plan carefully" screen), set it to 4 bytes, type in your embark points, then buy or sell something to change your embark points to a different number, and then plug the NEW number into Cheat Engine and have it do a second search (NOT a new search), it should pop up with one or two data addresses, one of those should be the address for your embark points.  Double-click that number, set it to something nice (preferably higher than 300 if you want one of those fancy steel anvils, not that it makes much difference), and then set it to freeze address, and no matter what you do, assuming anything you purchase is below that amount that you plugged in for the number, it'll always bounce back to the exact same number the second after you raise or lower it.

By the way, the same exact thing can be used to edit the Dwarves' starting skill points so that they can get to proficient in whatever skills you want them to be without having to decide between them.  Be sure to edit your embark points first.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 10:44:24 pm »

This is also where you add [PET][COMMON_DOMESTIC]. But remove them either before or after embarking, it doesn't matter, but with them in worldgen, you can embark with "bought" dwarves, and get more from caravans (this might be buggy, they might run away when uncaged.)

Do you also have to remove INTELLIGENT?  Because I just tried this on 2010 v.25 and it didn't work ???.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 02:47:29 pm by D_E »
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 08:18:04 am »

Shouldn't need to. Being [PET][COMMON_DOMESTIC] etc during worldgen should make them buyable at embark. They turn up at the bottom of the ANIMAL PURCHASE LIST as "peasants". Maybe you didn't look through all the animals. Perhaps I didn't make it clear exactly how to get them.

PRO TIP : I mad buyable dwarf castes (male and female versions) a couple of forts ago. I'm thinking i could use CASTE_PROFESSION_NAME to turn 'peasant' into 'slave' :). I set [POP_RATIO:0] in the new caste so they didn't turn up as normal migrants, you could only get them at embark or caravans.

NOTE: You can choose to buy males or females, adults or children.

I do this all the time, in all versions since 31.18, In fact they're buyable on my current map.

EDIT: retested this just to be sure, and it works. Just take off [PET][COMMON_DOMESTIC] from the save files at some point after worldgen, after or before embark work fine, otherwise you can't change dwarves labors (without Dwarf Therapist), until you edit the save raws back to normal.

Removing INTELLGENT is only for when you want cannibal dwarves, or dwarf leather, etc
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 08:39:41 am by Reelyanoob »

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 09:57:03 am »

He's using 40d.

No castes, no dfusion.

That said, why not use DF2010?

it's a lot simpler to get into, it runs faster, and the nobles aren't broken. well those are my reasons i keep 40d around on my PC anyways.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 02:44:50 pm »

@Reelyanoob

Ok, thanks.  That all sounds really neat, and is in fact exactly what I was hoping to do.  Now if I can just get it to work....

I did look all the way to the bottom of the animals list, but I'm not using the default dwarf creature or entity (it's for the Illithid mod), so one of the changes there must be conflicting with this.  Before I spent too much time fiddling with creature and entity defs I just wanted to ask if you were sure you hadn't forgotten something.
Mods I've done:

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2011, 09:25:45 am »

Nope, just having [PET][COMMON_DOMESTIC] should be enough to get anything in the embark buyable list, the rest I wrote is just "cleanup" stuff.

Try adding the tags for all castes (e.g in the top bit of the creature definition probably), generate the world, closely check the embark animals list for anything "odd". You can clean up castes etc once you know it's working.

This works for vanilla dwarves, haven't looked at that mod but it should be the same. Possibly there could be some extra tag in that creature interfering with the added ones, but I haven't heard of any. Every creature I've ever added these tags to has become buyable.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 09:32:44 am by Reelyanoob »

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2011, 06:57:36 pm »

Found the conflict.

It was the [FANCIFUL] tag.  When I added that tag to dwarves, this trick stopped working for them, and when I removed that tag from the Illithid castes that had it, it started working for the whole race (this implies that [FANCIFUL] is a creature-level tag, rather than a caste-level one).

Mods I've done:
Pages: 1 [2]