Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What have I done?  (Read 1496 times)

Eagle0600

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly Confused
    • View Profile
Re: What have I done?
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 04:53:16 pm »

I have my own suspicions, but I'm waiting to see the full file that he put it in.
GENERATION 21:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 05:27:22 pm »

Erm...Anyone want to help?

Everyone wanted to help, but you ignored their advice entirely.
I didn't ignore it, I explained why I didn't think it would work! There is a difference!

For myself, I wouldn't be looking at your new raw entry without making sure that it's the problem. Remove it and see what happens. Second, I would definitely remove those spaces. You say they definitely don't cause the problem, and you're probably right, but you didn't even try to change it. I'm going to try to make giant badger men on my end and change things one at a time until I find out what breaks it.

edit:
On a hunch, I copied your creature into the game without modifications, and it didn't crash when I entered the arena. However, it displayed with the name "nothing" in the creature list and crashed when I tried to spawn it.

Due to this, I have determined that there are, in fact, two problems, not one. One is with your creature, the other is not, but probably has something to do with the raw file you put it in. Can I please see the entire text content for the file, as well as it's file-name?

edit2:
Stick this in the raw file AFTER badger men (I would put it after giant badgers too, for neatness).
Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:BADGER MAN, GIANT]
[COPY_TAGS_FROM:BADGER MAN]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:GIANT]
[DESCRIPTION:A huge humanoid with the head and stripes of a badger.]
[GO_TO_START]
[NAME:giant badger man:giant badger men:giant badger man]
[GO_TO_END]
[SELECT_CASTE:MALE]
[CASTE_NAME:giant badger man:giant badger men:giant badger man]
[SELECT_CASTE:FEMALE]
[CASTE_NAME:giant badger woman:giant badger women:giant badger woman]
[APPLY_CURRENT_CREATURE_VARIATION]

Tested and working, as well as kicking ass. One thing to note is that the giant template makes things twice the size, but giant badgers are twenty times the size of a normal badger, thanks to this:
Code: [Select]
   [CV_REMOVE_TAG:CHANGE_BODY_SIZE_PERC]
   [APPLY_CURRENT_CREATURE_VARIATION] <- this line isn't important to consider right now, the others are
   [GO_TO_END]
   [CHANGE_BODY_SIZE_PERC:2040]

The giant badger men I've given you are twice the size of badger men, which are already much larger than badgers. Done some testing, and they'll still kick a normal badger man's ass any day of the week. Good day sir, and may you listen to other people when they give you advice.

All that being said, however, I figured out what the "nothing" problem was and it had to do with the fact that I had my definition in a different file, and it came alphabetically before the creature_temperate that you find the badger-men in. It has to come after, so I put it in the same file to be sure. After testing your own version after fixing my problem, it turns out that your raw definition has nothing wrong with it (except that it's a horrible mess and about 10x the size I would make it). As I said initially, "For myself, I wouldn't be looking at your new raw entry without making sure that it's the problem."
Thank you for your help. I will take your suggestions because I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work, unlike previous suggestions.

I have my own suspicions, but I'm waiting to see the full file that he put it in.
Er, I just added the giant badger man. Before: Arena works, yay BC pwnage. After: Boo, arena doesn't work.

I should probably run mods by the forums before trying them out next time. Last time I somehow managed to remove adventure mode by making the mountain entity into bronze colossi, even when I changed them back to dwarves. I had to load the raws from a working world to get adventure mode back.

EDIT: Giant badger men were indeed the cause. Gonna try your version. EDITEDIT: What the...You said yours worked, right? I'm going to upload the whole creature_large_tropical file...Out of curiosity, what's your suspicion?
EDITEDITEDIT: Maybe this will be enlightening.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 05:40:09 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Eagle0600

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 03:04:16 am »

It worked perfectly, with no error, with my version. It's not the raw file. Are you sure it didn't return any error message at all?

And for the record, saying you don't think it will work is fine. Not trying it, despite having admitted you didn't know what was going on, is not.
GENERATION 21:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 04:18:10 pm »

It worked perfectly, with no error, with my version. It's not the raw file. Are you sure it didn't return any error message at all?

And for the record, saying you don't think it will work is fine. Not trying it, despite having admitted you didn't know what was going on, is not.
Yeah, except for assorted pathing errors from forts and adventure mode. Not the problem obviously, I didn't have the arena long enough to spit at it (metaphorically), let alone put a creature in it, let alone to have them path.
And, oddly, if I put the giant badger man after the badger man and not giant badger man, the arena works! How bizarre...Are they supposed to look like dwarvish miners? I think that a 'B' would be better.

And and, question: If I made giant badger man 2X bigger than badger men, how would that put them sizewise compared to giant badgers? I don't know how the size changing things work, I would have thought that [CHANGE_BODY_SIZE_PERC:2040] would make giant badgers 20.4x times the size of a badger...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 [2]