Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: volcano draining idea  (Read 707 times)

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
volcano draining idea
« on: June 07, 2011, 11:55:50 am »

so, my twisted min has come up with a methond to drain volcanos into buildable land.

the plan is to have an aquaduct that causes water to flow over the lip of the volcano, obsidianishing the magma at the edge of the magma pipe so it is in contact with the sides. the obidian is then spread over the whole pipe. then channel out squares and apply more water so obsidian is formed on the level below. repeat until a solid floor of obsidian is formed on the lowest level you want there to be some on.
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: volcano draining idea
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 12:45:14 pm »

I think this would work. It would work even better with correct capitalization of letters.

The exact placement of water would be a little troublesome, as you can't just pour it all over if you want digging to occur, but it's entirely workable. Getting the miners out would also be a minor problem, but scaffolding-style stairs would do the job nicely.

For this project, are you suggesting draining* the entire volcano, or creating an obsidian shaft down one part of it? Because either would work with this.

* not really draining, so much as removing the magma (as obsidian)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 02:07:57 pm »

Why would you want to remove a volcano?

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 02:10:33 pm »

Why would you want to remove a volcano?
why not?

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 02:26:06 pm »

s that you have a fortress made in the middle of a volcano that you made with your own beard. also, the refill behavoir may mean that you can channel out floor areas and magma wells up
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Matazat

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:DARK_BEDROOM][DIET:RAMEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 05:05:06 pm »

If you poured water onto the magma in the middle of the pipe, would the obsidian formed just fall to the bottom, cave-in style?

If so, you'd need to start the water at the edge and let it spread across the middle.

Manae

• Bay Watcher
  • Smile
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 09:41:29 pm »

If you poured water onto the magma in the middle of the pipe, would the obsidian formed just fall to the bottom, cave-in style?

If so, you'd need to start the water at the edge and let it spread across the middle.

I believe not. The new obsidian should form a floor tile above to keep it connected so long as one side is orthogonal to another obsidian tile. I actually had a "bugged" cavern in my previous (semi-current?) fort where a magma pipe pushed through a lake in the second cavern. After half a season of collapse-spam it was finally drained and did contain some sections of hanging obsidian stalactites in the pipe that were hollow above and still filled with water.