Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: PC Gamer does a DF story  (Read 3489 times)

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
PC Gamer does a DF story
« on: June 03, 2011, 01:46:07 pm »

I only just got home today and found my PC gamer under the letterbox - and they have an 8 page (including the two page spread of a title/graphic) fort story.

Haven't had time to read it or nowt yet, but I thought people would like to know. It's the most coverage I've seen in a mainstream magazine (I know they cover it in the indie section occasionally, usually a month or two after a major update) - this is a proper article.

Yay!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PC Gamer does a DF story
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 01:51:51 pm »

You know the article title? They might have it online (they do that with a good portion of articles, or they did when I was subscribed)

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 02:02:55 pm »

"The unusual story of how seven drunk dwarves opened a portal to hell" by Steve Hogarty

A quick google and a shuftie around the pcgamer site doesn't bring anuthing up though.

ferok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 03:50:24 pm »

It probably wont be online for a few weeks.  They want you to buy the paper version.

Jacos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 06:31:09 pm »

Reading it right now, hopefully it'll bring an influx of new players.

"..Uses the bugbats bones to construct a macabre armour stand. He titles Rorostar Relonomtal. He has no armour. It is symbolic. Nor did he have enough bugbat bones 0 he had to use four puppy bones to finish it. It is therefore not actually that symbolic."

Heh heh.
Dwarven Science: We do what we must, because, we're bored.

Every few miles, [the dwarves] stop the cart.  One of the dwarfs (sic) gets off, digs a hole down below the dirt layers, licks the bedrock, and then they know exactly where they are.  It's called GPS: Geological Piquancy Sampling.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 06:43:55 pm »

This is PCGamer UK, I imagine?

deek0146

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 01:18:16 am »

Haha sounds great, can't wait for them to upload it

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 04:01:12 am »

From how it's described, it appears to resemble the tales of Oilfurnace and Bronzemurders: epic tales to a DF outsider about the possibilities of DF for chaos and complexity, but tending towards old hat for a forum veteran.

Nonetheless, I hope that even if the text will not be made available for months, someone who reads the article will post their opinion of the story and whether it is worth looking forward to and anticipating. I would love to be proven wrong.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 05:40:24 am »

From how it's described, it appears to resemble the tales of Oilfurnace and Bronzemurders: epic tales to a DF outsider about the possibilities of DF for chaos and complexity, but tending towards old hat for a forum veteran.

Nonetheless, I hope that even if the text will not be made available for months, someone who reads the article will post their opinion of the story and whether it is worth looking forward to and anticipating. I would love to be proven wrong.

The illustrations were made by the same guy of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.  He posted a few images on his twitter account: http://dribbble.com/shots/185123-Dwarf-Fortress-article-lettering

Melagius

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord and Master here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 06:19:11 pm »

Could anybody scan this?

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 07:29:55 am »

So, anyone got scans/links/any more info?

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 06:09:07 pm »

I just got the latest PCPowerPlay and it has no less than three references to Dwarf Fortress. One "Strike the earth!", One "Dwarf Fortress: Dwarf Touching Edition" for the iPad2 and one use as an example of why people still play ASCII games.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 06:59:03 pm »

I just got the latest PCPowerPlay and it has no less than three references to Dwarf Fortress. One "Strike the earth!", One "Dwarf Fortress: Dwarf Touching Edition" for the iPad2 and one use as an example of why people still play ASCII games.

We're going to need scans of that as well, if you don't mind.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!