Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trade Artifacts  (Read 1055 times)

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trade Artifacts
« on: June 08, 2011, 01:00:29 pm »

I'm sure this has been suggested before, but I couldn't find it by searching.

The basic idea is the option to trade away an artifact item (with possible consequences?)

This really didn't matter before, but if artifacts later become enchanted or cursed items, it would be cool to trade magical items with other civs. You could, for instance, trade a cursed cup to the elves or trade a beneficial item in exchange for a better magical item.

Thoughts? Ideas for possible side effects?

If it's been suggested before, please provide a link and I'll move my discussion there.

TheIcelandicManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trade Artifacts
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 01:19:46 pm »

I would love to be able to sell all my Ear rings for they are the most useless artifacts that i have ever had.
Urist McHappy has entered a fit of euphoria!
Urist McHappy hugs the Fish Cleaner in the upper body, jamming his love through the brain and warming his callous heart!
The Fish Cleaner has been taught the value of friendship!
Sigged

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 03:34:44 pm »

In my oppinion artifact trading shouldn't be done as a small feat exactly.

Though the question is should it be barred under "Why would they trade a sacred artifact for a few barrels?"

Or should players be allowed to trade their artifacts but making the concequences and benefits balance out?

I will state that artifacts you buy shouldn't count towards your total artifacts, though artifacts you give/sell away should still count against you.

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 07:45:17 pm »

It is planned to be able to sell you artifacts, it might end up going in latter on in the caraven arc, it's in the old dev notes of exactly what he's planning to do with all of this.
Did you know that if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it in a mirror, it will say pie? And if you divide 42 by 3.14... you get 13.37!

It is incredibly satisfying to kill a man with a butterfly.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 09:40:37 pm »

"I never told him, but its worth was greater than that of the whole Shire and everything in it."
-- Gandalf

I'm inclined to say artifacts should only be tradeable for other artifacts. Or, more broadly, for artifacts and other unique things: a kingdom, or a princess's hand in marriage, or the deed to someone's soul, or one favor from a god. They should be literally priceless in terms of lesser goods, though.

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 08:34:25 am »

Ya, my idea wasn't to trade artifacts for cheese or something...

I just felt that having artifacts moving around the world and creating stories might be fun. Magical items could start wars or give rise to kingdoms only to be lost to time. Then you could discover them as an adventurer or pick them up from a mysterious merchant or something.

Having all of the artifacts at your fort be stagnant and locked in a room doesn't seem very interesting to me.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 01:12:29 pm »

the dwarf who madee it will go mad and run after the caravan  :P
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 02:22:14 pm »

"This is the sword of Um-Golod, slayer of the thousand suns, reaper of the eternal siege, master of the many ways. It was forged in the depths of... the local blacksmith.

It makes no sense for artifacts to stay where they are. I would go one better and declare that your artifacts shouldn't really do anything while still in your fort. How many epic tales are weaved of local, household items? Let them be traded to kings and used to barter for the lives of orphans, and start their epic tales from there (and vice versa).
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 03:15:49 pm »

"This is the sword of Um-Golod, slayer of the thousand suns, reaper of the eternal siege, master of the many ways. It was forged in the depths of... the local blacksmith.

It makes no sense for artifacts to stay where they are. I would go one better and declare that your artifacts shouldn't really do anything while still in your fort. How many epic tales are weaved of local, household items? Let them be traded to kings and used to barter for the lives of orphans, and start their epic tales from there (and vice versa).

Your example is one of a rather lame artifact creation story, but many times in literature are items made within the context of the story. In several stories a weapon or powerful object is created just for the protagonist by either himself or by another character. This would be the equivalent of a "local blacksmith", though it is more like "local *Legendary* blacksmith".

It would be nice if we could capture the idea of creating an artifact for a specific person. Many great weapons were commissioned or given to the rulers of the day to fight epic battles.

By allowing artifacts to become gifts it would allow for both legal and illegal ways for artifacts to leave. A stolen artifact should cause the creator (and/or owner) to be very upset. But an artifact that is given to the king or traded to the homeland should boost relations and cause a measure of pride in the dwarf whose creation is serving his country.

Another idea I just had was to create some sort of world gen "super" artifact. Artifacts in a fort still feel kind of easy to achieve. It would be cool to have some extremely rare items that might be acquired somehow through trading or forgotten beast kills. They shouldn't be expected to be obtained often, maybe not at all depending on how long your fort lasts.