Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need ideas...  (Read 770 times)

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need ideas...
« on: June 03, 2011, 10:05:03 pm »

I've got literally HUNDREDS of gold bars sitting in my stockpiles.  I got a bit angry that my Captain of the Guard demanded his own quarters and my war heroes have to eat in the communal dining hall and sleep next to civilians, so I've decided to give my four swordmasters, each with over 50 kills (my Militia Commander has 75 notable kills) their own dining room and bedroom - made completely out of gold.  Any suggestions for decorations (made of gold, of course) that I can add to these rooms?
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need ideas...
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 10:13:38 pm »

Furniture, statues, mechanisms?
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 10:14:42 pm »

Gold waterfall - migrant operated, of course.

Giant gold phallus coming down from the ceiling.

Make gold statues until you get ones of them. It'll take quite a few tries, likely.

Dozens of gold items to leave laying around their rooms.

More golden rooms.

Golden zoo.

One of every possible gold furniture piece for each.

Giant gold tower leading above the fortress.

That's all I've got. Try something really creative, too.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 10:16:30 pm »

Personally, I find electrum to be much more tasteful than gold.
Here's an idea: give them armor stands that will hold armor of their kills. Works better if you have sieges of various races.

Or, here's another one: a lever that will dispense an armed goblin for them to fight, lest they get bored.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 10:18:06 pm »

Personally, I find electrum to be much more tasteful than gold.
Here's an idea: give them armor stands that will hold armor of their kills. Works better if you have sieges of various races.

Or, here's another one: a lever that will dispense an armed goblin for them to fight, lest they get bored.
Interesting idea...  I'll definitely put armor stands in each bedroom.

I just got a near-legendary glassmaker in a migration wave, gave me the idea of putting gold-studded windows in each room.

Proxiee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 11:05:38 pm »

I have a save file a friend found for me which has 100,000+ gold tiles. But I dont use it because the terrain is all wrong for my kind forts and its a 5x5, where I play 2x2 (I like fast fps)

Generally what I do with exceeding amounts of a certain rare ore is I make bricks out of it, then build a pyramid. The bottom floor is where they train, and each floor up is a bedroom, the biggest givin to the dwarf with most kills, and smallest to least kills. The very top room is for artifacts. Each time one dies, build a tomb for them beneath the pyramid, out of gold of course

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 02:45:24 am »

If you want to micromanage, stud their equipment with gold.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 02:55:12 am »

If you want to micromanage, stud their equipment with gold.
I never thought of that...  Though I might not for all their equipment, I'm running fortress defense mod, and I'm getting multiple sieges nearly every season.