Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Exotic Animals Back in and Civilization stuff!?  (Read 3257 times)

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Exotic Animals Back in and Civilization stuff!?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 01:10:18 pm »

I hope fort will be able to provide a feedback to civilizations as well, so once you've tamed GCS in one fort, it won't cost you an animal trainer in the another.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 01:20:02 pm »

if you tame an animal that killed a member of a civilisation, and abandon fort, could you get a quest to kill it in adventure mode?  Also I wonder if those people keeping big cats are suffering from toxoplasmosis?
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 02:27:20 pm »

Yeah, I'm pretty jazzed about the way this sounds like it's going to shape up. I'm guessing civilizational knowledge will be generated in part by the simulated interactions between the races and the local wildlife, so a dwarven civ in the desert might use tamed giant scorpions as mounts/draft animals, but be utterly stymied trying to tame a muskox. Or the aforementioned polar bear cavalry (although dwarves need Riding before that can occur). Or underground civs using a LOT more exotic mounts.

Also like the suggestion someone made of having some of that knowledge be available in books (How to Tame Your Rutherer: A Guide) which could be traded, captured, lost, etc. Said books could also function as a way of preserving some level of skill so that if your High Master Animal Tamer meets a gruesome end, future tamers could read some of his books and learn some of the lore rather than having to train up from scratch. (Actually, books could work that way for a LOT of skills...)

Jungle elves will suddenly be fun trade partners ("Okay, here's your annual shipment of tamed Bengal tigers").  :P

Back to the cavalry, it would be really nice if Riding and mounted combat get added in as options for fortresses and other civs widely. Elven mounted archers riding unicorns, human civs that use camel lancers, the Dwarven Honey Badger Uhlans...

Perhaps the [MOUNT] flag could be made size-dependent as well. So dwarves couldn't ride horses, but they could ride smaller creatures (wild boars are always a popular choice). The nice thing with doing it that way is that everything scales for modding. If you have pixie civs, they could ride mosquitoes or something. If you have giant civs, they can ride rocs or dragons or something.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 02:33:50 pm »

Oh please, dwarves would ride whatever the hell they wanted.  Giant Badger Boar - twice the size of a bear?  Throw some chains on it and RIDE IT TO GLORY!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 02:39:14 pm »

Yeah i'm waiting for the update that will permit our controlled dwarves (or humans, or whatever) to ride an animal as well. It will be awesum.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 02:40:56 pm »

Hmm...maybe some method of making really large animals into something like a wagon (or siege engine once that's coded in). Kinda like the Fremen and sandworms. 50 dwarves all riding on the back of a dragon with a harness/barding studded with iron rungs to hang onto.  :D

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 03:16:14 pm »

I'm loving the sound of the new system. Three cheers for knowledge-bases and Toady!
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."
Pages: 1 [2]