Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New Law That Indicates Popular "Mood"  (Read 5689 times)

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Law That Indicates Popular "Mood"
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 06:49:37 pm »

The right-wing "Liberal" party are the guys banning swear-words in Victoria (Australia in case u missed it).

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 01:28:33 am »

And I like the Liberal and Conservative party names. It makes it clear that they're not just individual politicians up there.

To be fair, you don't need party names, per se, to show that they're part of a group. You have Liberals, Conservatives, Elite Liberals, and Arch-Conservatives; those are good classifications without explicitly mentioning the party names involved.

I still like the party names explicitly mentioned. The parties are involved in some stuff under the hood as well. For example both parties have 40% (or was it 30%?) partyline voters in presidential elections.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 04:03:06 am »

Oh, those party line voters... they don't change the outcome, but they do help the Presidential elections to feel a bit more interesting. Used to be that there were very few close elections.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 04:21:53 am »

Yeah, they don't change the outcome, but they are definitely a good feature to add excitement.

I don't think the parties being mentioned dilute the satire in any way. The antagonistic relationship between the Liberal/Conservative parties is a very obvious poke at certain two US parties.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 11:09:52 pm »

And I like the Liberal and Conservative party names. It makes it clear that they're not just individual politicians up there.

To be fair, you don't need party names, per se, to show that they're part of a group. You have Liberals, Conservatives, Elite Liberals, and Arch-Conservatives; those are good classifications without explicitly mentioning the party names involved.

I still like the party names explicitly mentioned. The parties are involved in some stuff under the hood as well. For example both parties have 40% (or was it 30%?) partyline voters in presidential elections.

Here it's more an issue of semantics. You can say "The Liberals" and "30% of Elite Liberal voters" instead of "The Liberal Party" and "30% of Social Elite Progressive Liberal Party voters" and still get the point across, but without quite the same connotations of making it explicitly a political party.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 12:45:18 am »

Yeah, but I think it's better if the party is mentioned. It's just flavor stuff really (apart from the few underlying mechanics that really divide stuff into two parties) but I like it. As I said, having two major parties struggling with each other resembles the political situation of a certain North American country in a funny way...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2011, 01:04:29 am »

Yeah, but I think it's better if the party is mentioned. It's just flavor stuff really (apart from the few underlying mechanics that really divide stuff into two parties) but I like it. As I said, having two major parties struggling with each other resembles the political situation of a certain North American country in a funny way...

I agree, but I think you can get that across without parties being mentioned... especially since, in this case, we're actually talking about four parties if you don't include the moderates.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2011, 01:11:19 am »

Actually I think that the extreme wings could possibly be renamed to not be separate parties. Maybe something like $$ The US Flag $$ Reagan Eagle Wing of the Conservative Party and Social Elite Progressive Wing of the Liberal Party or something...

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2011, 01:14:04 am »

The Coffee Party?

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2011, 01:15:13 am »

Spruce Shack Conservatives?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2011, 01:15:50 am »

Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2011, 01:18:16 am »

And now I realized that the Coffee Party is real: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_Party_USA

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2011, 01:23:26 am »

That's news to me!

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2011, 01:25:26 am »

Sadly, while they seem to be about healthy political activism, they seem to be way further from L+ than the Tea Party is from C+. Maybe the REAL Liberals are in the Juice Party instead?

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2011, 01:25:05 pm »

Actually I think that the extreme wings could possibly be renamed to not be separate parties. Maybe something like $$ The US Flag $$ Reagan Eagle Wing of the Conservative Party and Social Elite Progressive Wing of the Liberal Party or something...

I always assumed them to be separate wings of their respective party, especially since it is a way for me to explain why, in that Sleeper game i ran a long time ago, the Social Elite Progressives win in the HoR while the Liberals win in the Senate.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.
Pages: 1 [2]