Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wood mechanisms and querns  (Read 2437 times)

forumist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wood mechanisms and querns
« on: September 04, 2011, 12:29:09 pm »

I'm trying to make a fort with no digging, no stone industry, no metal industry. A sort of Ainu village.

I think that the things that I miss the most are mechanisms and querns.
Querns and mechanisme cannot be bought to traders.

No mechanisms mean no traps, no screw press, no traction benches, no well... In real life, wooden mechanisms do exist. Adding them would make wood-only games more realistic and mode playable.

Another thing that is missing is a wooden equivalent of a quern. I've see a mortar and pestle in adventure mode, but they don't seem to be used. I don't know of they exist in wood. But this could be a reasonable alternative for a quern.

Don't quote me on that.
Cacame channels aquifers into submission by staring at them. Cacame is so badass, kobolds give him their children to leave them alone. If Hidden Fun Stuff digs too far down, they hit Cacame. Cacame once took a Tantrum Spiral and impaled four enemies on it.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
Re: Wood mechanisms and querns
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 02:51:50 pm »

No mechanisms mean no traps, no screw press, no traction benches, no well... In real life, wooden mechanisms do exist.
o_o

Anyway, I agree with wooden mechanisms. How would quern/mortar pestle work though?
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

EggFibre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 03:27:01 pm »

As I said in your other thread, you can add custom reactions to create wooden mechanisms. Ask around in the mod forums for help.

forumist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 04:43:08 pm »

As I said in your other thread, you can add custom reactions to create wooden mechanisms. Ask around in the mod forums for help.

If that can be done by modding, then it should not be complicated to include this in the default version of the game, if this is a reasonable feature to ask for. I don't like the idea of playing in a modded version.
Don't quote me on that.
Cacame channels aquifers into submission by staring at them. Cacame is so badass, kobolds give him their children to leave them alone. If Hidden Fun Stuff digs too far down, they hit Cacame. Cacame once took a Tantrum Spiral and impaled four enemies on it.

Agorp Stronden

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead by Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 05:04:07 pm »

Patience is a virtue. Let us wait for the next update and then be quick to harass Toady with all of our reasonable suggestions.  8)

7oady One

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 05:14:48 pm »

Anything which can be modded is a sure way to get Toady One to bump an idea further DOWN the list, not up.

In my view Toady only adds modding options and tags when he's personally unable to add a feature into the game without the extra tags. It's quicker for Toady to use the tags too, so they're primarily for him to develop faster (external text file changes don't need to recompile the main program, saving Toady 100's of recompile runs which probably take many minutes each time, going by how long my own small stuff takes to compile). us being able to mod things is an added bonus.

So in my mind, ask "can this be modded?" before making a suggestion because Toady's time is all spent adding in the things we cannot mod.

Also, I don't know where you get the idea Ainu don't use stone. Humans have used stone for 10'000s of years. You can still make a "no digging" fortress and trade for some stone. You only need a couple of querns. And you can collect surface clay to build with too.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 05:22:29 pm by 7oady One »

forumist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 02:49:03 pm »

Also, I don't know where you get the idea Ainu don't use stone. Humans have used stone for 10'000s of years. You can still make a "no digging" fortress and trade for some stone. You only need a couple of querns. And you can collect surface clay to build with too.

Hmm. That sounds right. But I'd prefer if querns and mechanisms could be traded rather than have my non-digging dwarves/Ainu mess with stoneworking. Why can we buy useles crafts and not these useful items ?

And maybe you are right that if something can be modded, it will go down on the priority list, but I still consider that if this is reasonable and realistic, it would better be the default, and not the mod.
Don't quote me on that.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 05:13:27 pm »

It would be nice if the difference in quality, due to differing material traits, that would likely exist between stone mechanisms, metal mechanisms, and modded in wooden mechanisms could be more clearly taken into account (that's not a particularly high priority though)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις