Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Clay Furniture  (Read 6913 times)

Demicus

• Bay Watcher
  • The formless enigma
    • View Profile
Re: Clay Furniture
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2011, 12:02:00 am »

1:  Porcelain throne... get it?  Porcelain throne?
*groans* That's just...horrible.
All shall embrace the unquenchable flame
Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2011, 02:00:53 am »

1:  Porcelain throne... get it?  Porcelain throne?
... apparently, my pun detector needs to go in for repair.   :-\
Double entendre: toilets.

You can't fire a block, if it's thicker then 3/4" it will, literally, explode.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2011, 03:05:18 pm »

I daresay you could make clay furniture if only by making the components individually and assembling them later, but it would be a lot of work and unless you modeled that rather silly. You can make almost anything out of anything. I was just reading about marble cannonballs carved by hand at 12 piasters apiece. I've seen chairs made of deer antlers. But you can't just grab a lump of clay and whip out a chair with basic tools like you can with wood and so unless you can somehow model the extra trouble it is probably better to disallow it..
Memento Mori

The Phoenixian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2011, 06:38:20 pm »

I daresay you could make clay furniture if only by making the components individually and assembling them later, but it would be a lot of work and unless you modeled that rather silly. You can make almost anything out of anything. I was just reading about marble cannonballs carved by hand at 12 piasters apiece. I've seen chairs made of deer antlers. But you can't just grab a lump of clay and whip out a chair with basic tools like you can with wood and so unless you can somehow model the extra trouble it is probably better to disallow it..
Perhaps it should explode in the kiln, or have a chance to explode in the kiln, unless it has a certain minimum quality?

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2011, 07:12:39 pm »

Sure, or make 10 'chair parts' you need to assemble the whole thing. Of course if we are talking about a cylinder of clay like some people were suggesting, that is probably possible if fragile. Maybe if it had a framework or straw or something to solidify it rather than being pure clay. Still, the whole thing seem a bit unnecessary to me. Pottery has been around longer than writing, it is one of the chief things found by archeologists and yet I've never heard of clay furniture.  Of course, stone chairs are not exactly common either so I guess we are working in a different environment.
Memento Mori

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2011, 12:07:05 am »

at the cost of $2500, would be a good item for trades!
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2011, 09:45:57 pm »

what about toilets? and hand washers? they are technically a porcelain/stoneware/earthenware chair/throne and (kind of) table....

we use it every day so it's possible..... they don't break when you use them....

which brings us to another question.... since DF is so detailed and realistic and such... well... what about Dwarven needs? I mean all that booze and prepared meals have to go somewhere....., don't they?  ???

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2011, 09:52:07 pm »

what about toilets? and hand washers? they are technically a porcelain/stoneware/earthenware chair/throne and (kind of) table....

we use it every day so it's possible..... they don't break when you use them....

which brings us to another question.... since DF is so detailed and realistic and such... well... what about Dwarven needs? I mean all that booze and prepared meals have to go somewhere....., don't they?  ???

Shhh, don't derail the thread!

Also i think having chairs from pottry would be most comedic!
Did you know that if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it in a mirror, it will say pie? And if you divide 42 by 3.14... you get 13.37!

It is incredibly satisfying to kill a man with a butterfly.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2011, 07:07:54 am »

ahhh? but derailing things is so dwarfy!! I just read a thread that started asking how to copy some ruins design into a fortress and ended up in a discussion about nordic flocklore and Tolkien's The Silmarillon  :P   I love these forums!!  :D 

Compared to that what I ask is in-topic...
clay furniture > pottery furniture > toilets > dwarf needs
see?  8)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 07:10:26 am by Kaos »

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2011, 02:12:26 am »

see?  8)

I see no issue with your logic.

Getting back to the main issue:

Clay furniture is unrealistic. It's already been said, but apparently bears repeating. Clay can only be made so thick before, even after being dried, enough water is retained that the pressure inside turns that ur-sculpture (or sofa, or bedframe, whatever the heck it is you people feel the desire to be made from clay) into a bomb. Also, clay is fragile after you fire it, mostly because it's so thin. So sitting on it is going to mash it, even if you had the infeasibly large kiln with which to make it in the first place. You could make it stronger by adding more clay, but, well, go back a few sentences.

You might be able to mitigate this by applying strange architectural techniques, but really, that's splitting hairs. Bottom Line, it doesn't work.

All or none of this may apply to porcelain, I didn't work with that in high school.

Who says High School Art Classes are a waste of time?

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2011, 06:25:33 am »

I actually have seen large earthenware sculptures made. Large enough they can't be moved unfired, and the kiln has to be built up around it for it to be fired in place.

Unfeasible, but with porous earthenware, possible.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2011, 09:29:32 am »

see?  8)

Clay furniture is unrealistic. It's already been said, but apparently bears repeating. Clay can only be made so thick before, even after being dried, enough water is retained that the pressure inside turns that ur-sculpture (or sofa, or bedframe, whatever the heck it is you people feel the desire to be made from clay) into a bomb. Also, clay is fragile after you fire it, mostly because it's so thin. So sitting on it is going to mash it, even if you had the infeasibly large kiln with which to make it in the first place. You could make it stronger by adding more clay, but, well, go back a few sentences.

You might be able to mitigate this by applying strange architectural techniques, but really, that's splitting hairs. Bottom Line, it doesn't work.

All or none of this may apply to porcelain, I didn't work with that in high school.

I was not joking, isn't a toilet a type of clay furniture? (fixed furniture at it but furniture nevertheless) is basically a fired clay chair and you sit on it daily without smashing it.... so it is realistic and it does work, doesn't it?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2011, 09:56:51 am »

Go watch how porcelain toilets are made, and ask yourself if that method fits the pre-1400 timeline for DF.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2011, 10:07:14 pm »

see?  8)

I was not joking, isn't a toilet a type of clay furniture? (fixed furniture at it but furniture nevertheless) is basically a fired clay chair and you sit on it daily without smashing it.... so it is realistic and it does work, doesn't it?

And?

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2011, 10:39:09 pm »

ahhh? but derailing things is so dwarfy!! I just read a thread that started asking how to copy some ruins design into a fortress and ended up in a discussion about nordic flocklore and Tolkien's The Silmarillon  :P   I love these forums!!  :D 

see?  8)
even if a train is slightly derailed, it will still crash

and i'm pretty sure dwarfes do not have the tech to produce clay toilets. still if you really want them in you can just mod them in as a custom "workshop", complete with products that cna fertilize feilds/pruduce miasma
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 10:41:26 pm by tHe_silent_H »
Did you know that if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it in a mirror, it will say pie? And if you divide 42 by 3.14... you get 13.37!

It is incredibly satisfying to kill a man with a butterfly.
Pages: 1 2 [3]