Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jobs not getting queued  (Read 449 times)

Fridgetroll

• Bay Watcher
  • like a blind man in the dark
    • View Profile
    • The Revenge of the Mutant Hippy Psychic Warlord
Jobs not getting queued
« on: May 31, 2011, 01:05:22 pm »

Hello,

I'm new to the forums, but not so new to the game.

I love DF, but recently I've encountered a problem that makes me want to pull out my beard. (Trust me, that is NOT fun!)

I first encountered it when my dorfs started refusing to haul wood. I had cleared out a nice pasture and after a season or so, I realised the wood was still sitting there and my wood stockpile was empty. My carpenters and wood crafters would hike all the way from their shops out to the pasture to grab wood, but they were the only ones who would touch it. I tried making a stockpile under the felled logs and ordering another stockpile to take from there. Nothing. I tried turning off all wood hauling, then setting everyone to haul wood. That didn't work so I tried dumping it all. Nope. In all cases, the jobs were never queued in the job list. Then it happened with 'carve fortifications' and I got frustrated and even though my beekeeper had just reached legendary status, I just abandoned that fort as I didn't really like the map (no flux). My new fort still has no flux near the surface and no source of coke, but it has a volcano and a brook and it is a thing of beauty and I want to keep it. Now my problem is that 'fell tree' jobs never get queued. Other designated tasks work fine, mining, gather plants, dumping, etc. But my wood cutters just sit around braiding their beards when there's forests waiting to be hacked!

I suppose I can live without cutting down trees, as I can get enough wood for beds and soap from traders and with magma forges I can make my bins out of lead (or gold!) and not worry about wasting precious charcoal. However, I shouldn't have to resort to these kinds of workarounds.

Any clues as to what might be happening here?

Anyone else having problems like this?
... getting attacked by stuff like zombie spleens.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Jobs not getting queued
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 01:24:56 pm »

I've gotten problem with hauling woods, with stockpile space still free, if I accidentally forbid dwarves from hauling woods through {o} menu from keyboard fumbling ( {w} toggles the gather wood permission). As for woodcutters refusing to cut wood, it's either burrow, or they doesn't have axes. If you does have axes in stockpile, you may have to switch off the tree-cutting job and switch it back on after unpausing for a bit, assuming the axe is not taken by militia. Youi can check by using {v} to look at them and then {i} for their inventory.

The dumping, if it's outside, is affected by {o} > {r} > {o} menu, I believe. You have to permit them to gather refuse from outside, in order to dump things from outside.

Fridgetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 01:37:25 pm »

Aha! Turning off the labor, unpausing, then turning the labor back on worked! I'll go back to the old fort and see if I had turned off wood permissions in the orders menu.

Thanks! My beard is saved!

Fridgetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 01:56:45 pm »

Yep... It was the Set Orders menu.  :-[

Thanks again!