Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Limiting the manager's power  (Read 909 times)

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Limiting the manager's power
« on: May 31, 2011, 08:35:23 am »

I've been messing about recently with trying to keep a lone dwarf alive in the caverns while the rest of the fortress gets on with their own stuff. The trouble is that all the queued jobs get split between the fortress and the hermit. I can work around this by filling her workshops with suspended jobs though it takes a lot of micromanagement. So although this may be an odd case, and as a legendary miner she should have no trouble digging her way back to her husband and kids, it has made me think that a "managed/independent" toggle in the workshop profiles would be really useful.

Some other possible uses would be:
  • send all queued armour jobs to a workshop that only your legendary smith can access while his apprentices practise with repetitive tasks elsewhere.
  • leave a farmers workshop near your pastures on repeat milk/shear while jobs are sent to a more central location
  • if separate toggles are available for different "managers" then later on some workshops could be assigned to your general manager and others to guild leaders

And I'm sure people could come up with other possibilities as it seems like it would add a lot of flexibility to planning.

For now I think I'll try and cut off her cave spider infested home from the caverns and dig back to her family, leaving a silk supply behind. Oh and gather a bunch of cassiterite and marble. She's keeping her spiky schist bed though. She made her bed and she can lie in it. And her husband.
Whenever dwarves get into melee, their first reaction is to place their baby on their head, to allow free use of both hands, and thus any headshot instead strikes the child.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
Re: Limiting the manager's power
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 01:33:28 pm »

I thought you could select which dwarves can use a workshop? see if theres a option for that on your work shop
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 02:39:20 pm »

I thought you could select which dwarves can use a workshop? see if theres a option for that on your work shop

That's not the issue. The problem is that the manager will assign jobs to any workshop of the correct type, whether it's the one reserved for the master or the training workshops for newbies.

There was a suggestion a while back to be able to toggle individual workshops between "managed" (the manager assigns work order jobs there) and "manual control"; would that do what you want?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 03:08:56 pm »

That's not the issue. The problem is that the manager will assign jobs to any workshop of the correct type, whether it's the one reserved for the master or the training workshops for newbies.

There was a suggestion a while back to be able to toggle individual workshops between "managed" (the manager assigns work order jobs there) and "manual control"; would that do what you want?
I think it would.

Side idea: Being able to appoint "assistant manager"s or something. Currently, when your pop reaches 20, your manager needs to spend long amounts of time in his office to get work orders to work. With assistant managers, if you have at least one assistant/manager with an office per 20 fortress members then you're automatically fine, otherwise the assistant manager(s) work in their offices to help out the main manager. Thoughts?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 03:38:07 pm »

I like this suggestion. And I think the idea of endless bureaucrats and middle-management appealingly "Dwarfy."

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 02:41:51 am »

Yes, "manual control" is what I meant by "independent".

Side idea: Being able to appoint "assistant manager"s or something. Currently, when your pop reaches 20, your manager needs to spend long amounts of time in his office to get work orders to work. With assistant managers, if you have at least one assistant/manager with an office per 20 fortress members then you're automatically fine, otherwise the assistant manager(s) work in their offices to help out the main manager. Thoughts?

I considered this, but how well it would fit the game will depend I think on how the guilds work. If guild managers act like assistant (or competing) managers then I don't think assigning assistants would be necessary. I'm not opposed to the idea though. If workshops could be assigned to a particular manager then you could have one to manage the mines and one to manage the hunting party down in the caverns or the mill house by the river or whatever. One per 20 dwarves seems excessive though, and I'm not sure what you mean by "automatically fine". Do you mean they wouldn't have to bother with paperwork?
Whenever dwarves get into melee, their first reaction is to place their baby on their head, to allow free use of both hands, and thus any headshot instead strikes the child.