Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bandit civil wars?  (Read 1019 times)

Mcducks22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bandit civil wars?
« on: June 01, 2011, 01:39:34 pm »

A while ago, I was traveling through the lands, when suddenly, I was assaulted by bandits!
This is not uncommon, but the strange thing about this is that they then split into three factions that started fighting each other! What's more, only one of these factions was hostile towards me! They all ignored me and started killing each other, and while trying to find out who the bad guys were, I found out I could talk to the non-hostile ones!

It was pretty fun to see a human lasher beat a dwarven axeman to death while I was casually chatting to him about his family. Anyway, I was wondering if any of you have experienced this? I have on two occasions now, and it gets pretty annoying when you realize you just shot that bolt at an ally. Both times I was close to a fortress, if it makes a difference.

mars7a

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
Re: Bandit civil wars?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 01:45:23 pm »

I think these are all different groups. One time I went to kill a bandit that was right next to a fortress, and there was already fighting going on.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 05:07:52 pm »

i'm sure in the future there will be mechanics for this, so that you will be able to witness epic historical battles, or bandit skirmishes in adv mode.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 10:47:51 pm »

Yup, I came across a quest to go kill some bandit and his camp was right next to another bandit camp.

I showed up with some soldiers and the bandits from camp A attacked the bandits in camp B.

Between my soldiers, myself, and both groups of bandits I really had no idea what was going on and who was who. I survived to loot both camps, though.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 11:10:00 pm »

I would like to be in the middle of a three-way faction war. Bandits vs. Bandits vs. Bandits vs. You and your outfit.

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 09:58:37 am »

The same once happened to me when walking in goblin homelands: goblin army, with elves and humans within them, started to fight against each other. I could also speak to a goblin and welcome to travel with me.

Unfortunately, when I came to my Civ fort, people thought, I'm an enemy. Quite sad, had to settle and stop adventuring.

Such a mess is called The Loyalty Cascade. As far as I know, this is also observable in fort mode. To trigger it, it's enough to attack Dwarven caravan guards.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 10:10:05 am »

A loyalty cascade happens when a member of a civ attacks another, usually due to them being a different creature (I.E, A FB/Titan may attack his own goblin army) and them being declared an enemy of that civilization. Due to a bug, the creature is then attacked by other members of the civ who also get declared an enemy. This goes on and on until the battle ends.

So far, the most common way to cause one on fort mode is to attack the dwarven caravan guards.

Syreal

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Magma Bather
    • View Profile
    • Syreal Games
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 10:34:10 am »

That has definitely happened to me too. I was a little worried that DF adv mode was descending into chaos, but moving to a different part of the world map solved those problems, good as new. But now an entire human civilization hates me ... and I found out when I walked into a stronghold, haha. Too bad my companions and I were used to fighting titans and dragons.
You die in the heat.