Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pits and stockpiles  (Read 418 times)

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pits and stockpiles
« on: May 30, 2011, 08:51:27 am »

If I set a disposal pit over an empty space, with a food stockpile in the Z-level underneath, will food thrown into the pit appear on the stockpile?

I am looking to create a sort of zoo with my Hammerer.

Also, is there any reason why animals are not taken to my animal stockpile?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Naina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pits and stockpiles
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 09:00:54 am »

I believe your food stockpile idea will work fine, based on what I've seen described before. I've never done it though.

Animal stockpiles are only used for creatures in cages. If you're looking to just confine an animal to a space sans cage, use the pasture activity zone. (i) > (n) > (N) to set animals to a specific pasture.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 09:21:26 am »

All of the animals are in cages.  I am in a 40D fort, so no pastures.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 01:23:03 pm »

If I set a disposal pit over an empty space, with a food stockpile in the Z-level underneath, will food thrown into the pit appear on the stockpile?
You might have to unforbid it after dumping.  Otherwise it'll work.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.