Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burrow Design  (Read 515 times)

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Burrow Design
« on: May 29, 2011, 12:55:44 pm »

So how do you use burrows?

I create burrows for:
*each workshop, with inputs stockpiles;
*a "commons" with stairs, food and booze, depot and trade goods;
*an "inside" to keep dwarfs inside during sieges;
*a Hospital;
*a Mayor's Quarters so my mayor drops "pasture large animal" and such jobs and meet the diplomats
*a "Soil Miner" for non legendary miners
*a "Stone Miner" for legendary miners, so I don't lose stone/gems
*a "Project" for the masons, mechanics, herbalists, woodcutter, carpenters needed to clean and build something...

I have one problem though... when I set civilian alert to keep my dwarfs in the "inside" burrow, basically all other burrows effects break...

Like every single dwarf is assigned to the inside burrow while the alert is active, and they stop respecting the other burrows....

My "Soil Miners" and "Stone Miners" can now dig everywhere, my workshop workers can get inputs from everywhere, and so on... is there a way to workaround this?? like they stay inside but respect the other burrows?

I tried adding the other burrows to the alert, but all it does is let everybody into that burrow too....
By the way my "inside" burrow and my other burrows overlap...

Are children affected by burrows? they can be assigned but I tried and they seem to completely ignore it.... I was trying to make a 1x1 child burrow at the foot of my archer tower to bait child snatchers.... but no kid ever went there!!  >:(
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 12:58:14 pm by Kaos »

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Burrow Design
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 01:09:52 pm »

You could avoid the problem of dwarves going jobs wherever in your "inside" burrow by instead making it a "safe" burrow. That is, rather than including your entire fort underground, just have it include the meeting areas, food stockpiles, and hospitals away from your entrances. Since sieges shouldn't last long, having sieges interrupt work entirely isn't too big a deal. Although since IMO having separate miners for soil and stone is kind of a waste (you never need more than 4 miners, and they reach legendary fast), and the workshop material source thing isn't that big a deal, it doesn't really matter either way.

Children are affected by burrows, but burrows don't actually force dwarves to go into them unless they're linked to the active alert. That 1x1 child burrow you made prevented children from taking jobs outside it, but didn't force them to go to it, so all it would've done would have prevented your children from eating, drinking, or sleeping until they were starving, dehydrated, or exhausted. Probably did a number on your kids' happiness if you left it for any length of time.

For myself, since I don't much care about efficiency, I usually only have one burrow that is linked to an alert for keeping dwarves inside during sieges.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!