Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Lava hiccup or am I doing it wrong?  (Read 1312 times)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Re: Lava hiccup or am I doing it wrong?
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 07:03:55 am »

I don't believe "Magma Flow" alone is responsible for destruction. I encountered one Magma Flow tile (filled with magma) in adamantine vein. I dispersed the magma from it and allowed it to dry. The Magma Flow tile never refilled. One year later I dumped obsidian and diorite onto it from above:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

These two stones do not disappear or melt, they are just sitting there. Diorite in magma should melt, but there is no magma. Magma from outside is barred by adamantine walls. All surrounding magma tiles are either "Magma Flow" or "Open Space". The deeper, the more Magma Flow tiles. Topmost layer of magma is Open Space only, while fifth layer from surface is Magma Flow only, I don't know what's even deeper. Maybe things disappear when thrown on lowest Magma Flow layer, or under other circumstances. Anyway, I returned to my old atomsmasher.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2011, 09:37:53 am »

Yeah, gotta discover the sea. This is also why magma placed with dfliquids can't be used to power magma workshops right off the bat.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

danaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2011, 04:42:06 pm »

You might need to recieve the magma sea discovery message. Before then, looks like your dwarves don't know what they can do with magma.

Or maybe just the "you have found a magma pool" message?

I've found magma pools multiple times and gotten them working without discovering the magma sea.

He said he mined into the side of the tube; did he breach the cavern above the top and "discover" it, as well?
Pages: 1 [2]