Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reservoir supply loop: Well to pond and back to well  (Read 1190 times)

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reservoir supply loop: Well to pond and back to well
« on: May 31, 2011, 01:29:21 pm »

Sometimes, about half the time, my dwarves are supplying my reservoir (which currently can only be filled by bucket) from the well above that same reservoir, moving water in a loop. The other half of the time they go to the distant brook. I believe they only go to the brook when the well is considered dry.

Here is a full explanation of the setup: I have an underground reservoir multiple z-levels high but only one tile wide and accessible by one tile at one end. That tile is adjacent to a one-tile pond zone over the water. The reservoir itself slopes downward from there via ramps for two z-levels (for a total of three z-levels) toward a grate directly below the well at the other end, which keeps the dwarves from drinking muddy water. So there is one full tile of water below the grate (and that tile has a floodgate on one wall which can be opened to drain the reservoir), and a maximum of 5 full tiles of water above the grate. The well is one tile above the maximum fluid level, on the same z-level as the tile they stand on to dump their buckets into the reservoir, but the route between the two is circuitous rather than direct.

Side view (A=air; W=water; S=stone, w=well, G=water with grate on top):
Code: [Select]
A A A w A
S W W W S
S S W W S
S S S G S
S S S S S

I believe this should be considered a bug. I like the use of wells as an arbitrary water source, but the game should specifically be able to avoid the loop of pond-filling a body of water using a well that draws on the same water body. I should be able to fill a reservoir in the simplest way (without complicated aqueducts and mechanics) and draw from it at the same time, without disabling one and then the other by turns. If the logic to do this programmatically is too complex, perhaps a system could be put in place for ponds to specify their source, similar to the stockpile system in which a secondary stockpile can be set to take resources from a different, primary stockpile.

Before I report it, I would like to get confirmation and/or reactions as to whether this seems buggy and worth reporting.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Reservoir supply loop: Well to pond and back to well
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 01:37:34 pm »

I just usually forbid any bucket-fed wells when refilling them, or more extremely have them behind locked doors. I would consider it a minor bug, but not really worth reporting on with such simple solution ( and I suspect the logic behind working out pond zone and well connection could be a tad confusing).

I just considers them dorfs to not be the brightest and doing their version of chinese fire drill with their simple logic of "Oh, water source right there, bucket it over!" without being aware of both spots being connected.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 04:06:50 pm »

The problem is how you get the game to decide "this pulls from the same water source as the filling pond."  If you declare a pond zone for a 50 tile long channel, with a well on one end, how do you get the game to realize "this is the same body"?  More complicatedly, what if water is in flow or not level?  Like, I declare a pond on my fort wall, and have a river on my map, with the intent of dumping infinite bucketfulls off my wall to fill a moat.  Because the river is below the pond zone, then eventually the moat would overflow and drain into the river, making the river and moat the same source of water.  This would create strange conflicts when the code has to decide how to separate bodies of water into distinct areas.  It's pretty much outside rational coding limits, certainly possible but not profitable, especially when the player can just as easily forbid the well's items or simply build the well last.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 09:35:53 pm »

Any bug is worth reporting. There's no point in having such a good bug tracker if we only use it to report the most major issues.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?