Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Disturbing naked miners (31.25)  (Read 4237 times)

Antalia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Disturbing naked miners (31.25)
« on: May 29, 2011, 07:08:12 am »

So for the last couple of years, my miners have been getting increasingly naked. One of them is currently walking around wearing nothing but one XX*giant cave spider silk hood*XX and one *silver pick*. Her three small, naked children follow her around everywhere she goes.

At first these antics were kind of funny, but the question has started to nag...why are they doing this? How can I get the miners to put on clothes?

(Also, not all of the children in the fort are naked...just those three and a couple others. Is that weird or..?)
Author of Saga of Nutscaves, a tale of unsafe working conditions, plague, and worse

Creator of Dwarf Organizer, a Java application to help assign labor in your fortress

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
Re: Disturbing naked miners (31.25)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 07:17:00 am »

Dwarves seem to only wear one set of clothes, no matter how much they "own", when it wears out they stop wearing anything.

You can make squads and give them uniforms, but never put them on duty, but this won't work if you're talking about miners etc. with uniforms.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 07:27:06 am »

It's a known issue... I think its supposed to get fixed with the caravan arc.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Antalia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 07:42:31 am »

Ok, I'll try the military - thanks:) I had avoided it before, because I seem to remember reading that they'd get confused about their picks. But maybe that's only if I activate them, or assign weapons.
Author of Saga of Nutscaves, a tale of unsafe working conditions, plague, and worse

Creator of Dwarf Organizer, a Java application to help assign labor in your fortress

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 08:58:24 am »

Ok, I'll try the military - thanks:) I had avoided it before, because I seem to remember reading that they'd get confused about their picks. But maybe that's only if I activate them, or assign weapons.
Actually, the issue is that miners (and woodcutters, and hunters) have a "civillian" outfit--a pick (or an axe, or a crossbow/bow/whatever), to be exact--that cannot be "worn" with a military uniform. So, while Urist McMiner is naked as the day she was born, her children will be clothed. Weird, huh? Well, this is DF.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 09:46:49 am »

Note, that they will change their behavior subtly. For example they usually will attack any prisoner they just chained up, instead of running away. This may make use of chained enemies difficult.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 01:14:28 pm »

Actually, the issue is that miners (and woodcutters, and hunters) have a "civillian" outfit--a pick (or an axe, or a crossbow/bow/whatever), to be exact--that cannot be "worn" with a military uniform. So, while Urist McMiner is naked as the day she was born, her children will be clothed. Weird, huh? Well, this is DF.
As I understand it there is a hidden miner/woodcutter/hunter uniform that only has the corresponding weapon assigned pick/axe/ranged

You could designate a "wrestler" uniform (an uniform without any weapon) assign it to them and even draft miners/woodcutters/hunters and they'll use the weapon they already carry without the bug of hauling their current weapon and try to pick another one (even if is the same kind of weapon) that occurs when you assign them an uniform that uses a weapon (even if it's the same weapon they already carry)

Ironically you can create an uniform with weapon "pick" and it's a "Miner" squad, even though they don't have the miner labour active  ;D  not sure if non miners (labour) training with picks will gain mining experience though... they sure use the mining skill when fighting with a pick, so your legendary miners in a "wrestler / no weapon" squad are lethal and can be drafted conveniently when they are walking close by....

training woodcutters as axedwarves is a little trickier, you'll have to use a "wrestler" uniform when they have woodcutting labour enabled, and use an axedwarf uniform with the labour disabled, the same with hunters / marksdwarves / bowdwarves / blowgunners