Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Short Stories of Brutality, Cruelty, and Violence  (Read 2874 times)

Knarfle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Short Stories of Brutality, Cruelty, and Violence
« on: November 29, 2010, 06:49:25 pm »

Anybody got some stories to share? I'll share one that occurred recently for me. I gotta say, I'm loving the new combat logs.

I stationed my squad in the room with a goblin cage and pulled the lever. Immediately a sword struck it's heart and blood sprayed in a wide spiral about the room. A speardorf cut off the  goblin's right hand and bit the left, shaking the goblin around by it as blood continued spraying wildly. Just before I was certain the goblin would die to blood-loss, one of my dorfs kicked it's skull through it's brain.

I almost felt sorry for it, but then I remembered all the innocent dorfs who fell to goblin ambushes and pulled the lever that released the NEXT naked, unarmed goblin before my squad of fresh recruits.
What do you get when a Rhesus monkey steps on a weapons trap loaded with maximum adamantine blades?

Rhesus Pieces!

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Short Stories of Brutality, Cruelty, and Violence
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 01:30:15 am »

I had to make two wrestlers and an untrained axedwarf take down a GCS.  They were wrestlers by accident, I don't know WHY they weren't using their axes...  Three dead, three wounded.  Man, that was bloody, the three dead got taken to their coffins in about twelve pieces.   

And the thing had to make such a feckin' mess, too.  It was spewing webbing like a machine gun, people were whining about being webbed to the dining tables for weeks...
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

eue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 04:05:45 am »

Ever tried releasing those naked unarmed goblins into a room with one or two war dogs? The dogs spend months maiming them before they finally suffer fatal wounds and die. I've had combat reports of dogs ripping goblins apart finger by finger, with over 40 pages.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 05:35:32 am »

Italcatten was a prosperous fort. In its eighth year and producing significant amounts of wealth, to the point that hundreds of dwarves had immigrated there since its founding. Of course, many of them met their ends due to easily preventable accidents, the likes of which have plagued many a fort, but the wealth that flowed through Italcatten's gates was enough for many dwarves to risk their lives.

Kivish Olinthiz was one of Italcatten's founding seven. Formerly a hunter, the overseer had conscripted her into the military once she'd hunted almost all the game around the area to extinction. Apprehensive at first, she soon found that putting bolts through goblins (and their larger cousins, hobgoblins and bugbears) wasn't that different from putting bolts through deer and foxes. It was much more satisfying, to boot.

The fort was in a dangerous area, next to three hostile civilizations, and of course the vast amounts of wealth attracted raids and sieges from the neighbors.

The military, including Kivish, was well outfitted with steel and consequently injuries were rare. But during one goblin siege, a goblin child snatcher, taking advantage of the chaos of battle, tried to sneak into the fort and abscond with a hapless dwarven child.

Kivish spotted him just a moment too late- after he'd dropped from above and stabbed her in between the joints of her steel breastplate, piercing her left lung. Too scared to continue with his plan, the kidnapper turned tail and began to flee.

Kivish was injured badly and found it very difficult to breathe, much less walk, but she had a duty to the fort. If she didn't do something now, the bastard would undoubtedly be back. As she had already engaged squads of goblin warriors during the siege, she was down to a single iron bolt. Wiping the sweat from her eyes, she loaded her crossbow, aimed at her attacker (who was quickly approaching the edge of her weapon's range,) and pulled the trigger.

Whether it was luck, sheer determination, skill, of the favor of some god who found her courage inspiring, the bolt flew straight and struck the goblin in the back of the head, punching a hole in his skull and piercing his left eye from behind, destroying any use it would ever have again. He fell over on the ground, convulsing. These weren't the spasms of a dying goblin- he was still alive.

Dedicated to finish the job, Kivish pulled up more determination than she'd thought she had and began marching towards the kidnapper. Her lung was quickly filling with blood, and she kept coughing it up, but by Armok, she had been charged with the defense of the fortress, and the job was only half done. Forcing her feet to carry her across the dry grass, the summer sun beat down mercilessly, sweat mingling with the blood pouring from her mouth and side. She had to stop frequently to catch her breath, and she knew that one of her fellow soldiers could easily slay the helpless goblin but they were all busy engaging the rest of the goblin army.

As she approached, the goblin had stopped convulsing and was simply laying in the grass, blood pouring from both sides of his head. His eye had been popped out of his socket by the force of the bolt. With his good eye, he looked up at her as she loomed over him, her shadow temporarily blocking the sun from his vision. She had to wonder whether he was aware of what was happening as she lifted her crossbow with her right hand- the left side of her body hurt too much to use her arm- and slammed the butt of the weapon down on his skull, caving it in and putting an end to his suffering.

Breathing heavily from exhaustion, Kivish watched as the goblin's body spasmed one last time before expiring, then turned and began her march back inside.

"Great Armok... I need a damn drink," she muttered as she headed back to the fort.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 08:27:50 pm »

On the other hand this story pretty much speaks for itself:

Knarfle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 10:42:31 pm »

Awesome, I haven't had anything interesting happen lately.

Well...a waterfall I installed in one of my latest forts ended up drowning over 30 dorfs when the pressure plate I had the floodgate attached to had a bit too little water on it and it opened the gate, resulting in the waterfall going from 1's and 2's to a constant stream of 7's, pushing dwarfs into the water-maze.

Initially it had been a maze for enemies to walk through while I took shots at them with my siege engines. I never actually had a siege, bad embark I suppose. No goblin civ nearby to play with.
What do you get when a Rhesus monkey steps on a weapons trap loaded with maximum adamantine blades?

Rhesus Pieces!

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 03:54:30 am »

The two Aperture Science employees ran at each other, Eight brandishing a crowbar, Six with a lead pipe. They hit each other and fall in a pile, Eight quickly detaches himself and swings the lead pipe at Six's head but it is parried. Eight swings his crowbar at Six's leg, chipping the bone and bringing Six to his knees. Eight stands up and brings the crowbar down on Six's head, bruising the muscle and jamming his skull into his brain.
As Six's body falls to the ground, twitching weakly, a gunshot echos through the chamber. Eight spins around trying to spot the gunman but fails to see him. Another shot sounds and pain shoots up his left arm, his thumb has been shot off. He continues to watch as yet another shot is fired, from the corner to his left. He runs towards the gunman, another shot is fired but it misses. He's almost on him when one last shot is fired, taking Eight through the heart.
He falls. Blood spraying from his chest wound. His vision fading. A shadow moves away from the corner, coming towards him. Eight grips his crowbar firmly, knowing he won't have the strength to swing it one last time. An Aperture Science employee stands in front of him, Thirteen...

Source Fortress coming tomorrow today I guess...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 03:57:01 am by NobodyPro »

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 05:44:56 pm »

Bumping this because when you injure a bat to the point of it passing out repeatedly, interesting things happen.

...pages of this until it smashed its brain.

Sir Leonard III

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 07:58:59 pm »

A swordsdwarf enters a room with one troll cage. We pull the lever and the fight begins, and then it ends. The swordsdwarf immediately cut off the arm and head of the troll with an artifact Pig Iron sword.
Hush little baby, listen to my song,
Mamma's gonna tan you a troll leather thong.
And if that thong don't menace with spikes,
Mamma's gonna kill you whatever you like...