Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Syndromes for SCIENCE!!!  (Read 943 times)

Jessoftherocks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grounds all green and mushy, in dungeons o Despair
    • View Profile
Syndromes for SCIENCE!!!
« on: May 27, 2011, 03:18:00 am »

So I was thinkin ...If I so happen to kill lets say a FB with  (Necrosis) for instance, and I get some military dwarfs and have them path through the beast blood into battle against a wave of Goblins, Would they ultimately give necrosis to the gabbo's and than perish in some horrible gruesome scene of blood guts and steel>   Just a thought.
You obviously found a new species of smart kobold.
Way to go, you killed the only smart kobold's to have existed.
See? Not everyone avoids you!

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
Re: Syndromes for SCIENCE!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 03:26:05 am »

Maybe. If I remember right, the beast blood works by people walking on pools of it(doesn't even have to be a lot, scattered trails of it might work too) and it gets on their skin somehow. No socks or shoes on, you're getting infected. This is why children in DF are often doomed when they walk around, they will never pick up clothing and right now people who do have clothes don't replace them anymore unless you make a special military squads that all of your civilians are in and you designate them to wear clothes. Pretty sure they'll replace their stuff then, but even then you can't put kids to the squads so their only chance to survive if there's some beast blood around is to not walk on it until they mature.

Anyway.

Going by this, I THINK that your doomed soldiers would only infect the gobbos if it was raining outside and it washed off the blood that's on their armor and the gobbos would walk on it. Assuming of course that I'm wrong about the sock/shoe thing and beast blood goes right through 'em. Maybe it'd work better to have a death corridor where there's beast blood and you use a drowning trap to put some water in and have the stuff spread by water all over the place. It'd probably get on the gobbos unprotected bodyparts and hopefully infect 'em before more water washes the stuff off.

I gotta test that at some point.

Tetragenic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 06:54:38 am »

I'm working on this.

Dwarves with poisonous, high-temperature blood (magmablood). Try THAT, goblins!
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Dwarven Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 10:03:42 am »

You could also chain a few animals in a dead-end hallway for the gobbo's to visit. Then they'll intentionally go through blood.

Xorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 10:19:29 am »

Any footwear your dwarves will happen to be wearing will stop the blood going through and killing them, but they will carry it around the fortress if not properly washed off.
This is why dwarven children die so often when a FB appears and you haven't prepped a cleaning pool, they walk through the blood that the military/civilians bring in and contract whatever the blood does.

As for using FB as a potential weapon against gobs, I have no idea. Assuming you could get the blood to them by spreading it through walking, my guess would be yes, yes it would kill the gobs (assuming they have no footwear on).

Jessoftherocks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grounds all green and mushy, in dungeons o Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 02:34:27 pm »

Well I'm not really concerned with losing the dwarfs that I would send into battle covered in horrible deadly blood. I just envision this dwarf covered with blood charging and bleeding porfusely all over everything and totally wiping out a siege.
You obviously found a new species of smart kobold.
Way to go, you killed the only smart kobold's to have existed.
See? Not everyone avoids you!

utuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 02:37:31 pm »

I just had such 'incedent' with everything you describe - after fb fight soldiers with weapons covered in deadly secretions wondered into fort through unnoticed hole in floor, miners&childeren started dying, i noticed hole in the floor : / now i have nice weapons covered in deadly toxin and siege waiting outside ...

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 04:22:13 pm »

if the blood is on there weapons then it will poison the gobblins.
try:
A, geting a weak FB and attack it by stabing it with bolts.
B, useing poison weapons in traps.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG