Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Speed kind of random?  (Read 771 times)

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Speed kind of random?
« on: May 27, 2011, 04:08:54 pm »

Hello,

I've made a few chars with the same stats and their speed tends to vary. Any idea why this is?

I've also knoticed that it is easier to make very fast Dwarves but not so easy to make Fast Humans.  Are Elves even faster? Hmmm...

Syreal

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Magma Bather
    • View Profile
    • Syreal Games
Re: Speed kind of random?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 04:48:28 pm »

Elves are typically very fast (in older versions anyway).

The speed might vary a little bit due to what is being carried or worn by your character.

Speed is also affected by being stunned, being prone, sneaking, pain, etc.
You die in the heat.

Darion

• Bay Watcher
  • What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 06:26:50 pm »

I don't know, but probally if your character is fat, he will be slower than a skinny character.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 07:39:32 pm »

*Fat chars are slower than thin chars
*tall chars <may> be slower than short chars.
*broad chars <may> be slower than thin chars.
*muscular chars are slower than wimpy chars, assuming they are still strong enough to carry their gear unencumbered. Muscles are heavy.
*it is possible to randomly spawn with heavier gear, heavier gear can mean slower movement, depending on strength.
*drowsy, pain, nausea, numbness, prone, thirst, hunger, stunning, faint, pale, swimming, drowning and sneaking all negatively effect action speed and they can stack.
*Holding a crutch can negatively effect move speed depending on crutch walking skill.  Having it in a backpack can too without special precautions due to a bug.
*Elves have a naturally higher speed than the other vanilla races.
*Higher agility grants higher action speed.

Whole lot of factors have an effect on action speed.  First three in that list you have no control over when you spawn.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 07:41:43 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Syreal

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Magma Bather
    • View Profile
    • Syreal Games
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 08:50:53 pm »

Good comprehensive cover, Greiger. One interesting factoid that you probably know: with one of my characters, he has a speed of 1500 on land and slightly over 1700 swimming.
You die in the heat.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 09:41:43 pm »

Well, uh... clearly folks that have become such awesome swimmers to be faster in water then on land are exempt from the rules of biological physics and sense.

And I actually didn't know.  I kinda figured it was percentage based, like the others seem to be, such that legendary+5 swimming made you at most as fast swimming as on land. 

[The More You Know.jpg]
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 10:29:09 pm »

*Elves have a naturally higher speed than the other vanilla races.

Not since 40d they haven't. They have a better agility range, but the same speed. Along the same lines, dwarves have lower-than-average agility (but the same speed).