Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Metal Gear Solid V: Did you Rike it? Edition  (Read 1369 times)

Gargantuan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Metal Gear Solid V: Did you Rike it? Edition
« on: March 27, 2013, 09:26:03 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRSZy12EOSs <--Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRSZy12EOSs <---Gameplay

Open World MGS Adventures? All I can hope for is a release date thats within this year. Any thoughts or predictions?

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Metal Gear Solid V: Did you Rike it? Edition
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 09:42:46 pm »

It might be a good idea to put a bit more content in your post, honestly?

I can provide some of that content, though.

Last year Konami and Kojima previewed what were at the time billed as two separate games: Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeros and The Phantom Pain. The Phantom Pain was attributed to a Swedish developer known as Moby Dick studios which... didn't really seem to exist... and a CEO named Joakim Morgen (an anagram of Kojima) that was never seen in public until quite recently, and even then only with bandaids all over his face. The other pictures all look like photoshopped things of Kojima twice over.

Ground Zeroes looked to be a continuation of Big Boss's story after Peace Walker (so spoilers ahoy if you watch that trailer), and the Phantom Pain looked like some strange game involving escaping a hospital as an amputee during some sort of military attack.

Flash forward to today's GDC conference, where Kojima revealed that the two games were actually two different parts of the same game, with Ground Zeroes being the prologue and the Phantom Pain being the main game itself. Ground Zeroes was supposed to be open-world-esque, it remains to be seen whether the Phantom Pain portion follows the same rules.

Ground Zeroes follows up on Peace Walker, and Phantom Pain takes place 9 years after that. The gameplay is from the tutorial section of the Phantom Pain introduction, and the trailer is... well... a trailer.

At the time of the Ground Zeroes announcement speculation was that it would be released on Xbox 360, PS3, and PC. So far there's no confirmation of the PC version, though as far as I know the development version is running on a high spec PC currently.

Edit: apparently they're still two separate games? KOJIMA
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 10:05:13 pm by Logical2u »
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Gargantuan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 10:11:38 pm »

I thought it was pretty much confirmed that they were one game?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 10:22:58 pm »

What I'm concerned about is the apparent removal of David Hayter. I'm hoping this is just a misunderstanding from having not recorded any of Big Boss' lines yet. They haven't actually announced a replacement VA, so...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 12:04:40 am »

Ive been out of MGS for a damn long time, in fact the last one i played was the one you escape a facility after killing a mega robot on a ice island in snowmobile. I did see a few others wich was liquid snake i think? but i didnt play it to a full extent. I loved MSG because it made me think of jack bauer in 24hr, you are kinda rushed everwhere to do multiple thing while being stealthy as much as possible. The main character went trough a lot of sacrifice, once again like jack bauer, been casted-off, abandoned, still he kept working and being loyal, but from what i saw? demon horn on his forehead? Flaming horse? Daemons and fire spirits? WTF is that? are we going the painkiller way with more shooting less stealthing?

Im not quite sure about what to think of those trailed, sure MSG has been a serie i liked but it look like its going religious over corporatious? Cannot say the physics and the graphics aint nice, they are gorgeous. Dont get me wrong this game will most likely be a hit, im just concerned on where the IP and the story is going..... Unless i missed something crucial wich is most likely about the overall IP plot that would make me understand where its going.... im a bit disapointed....

I can easily accept mutant beast out of failed experiement in a setting that is modern, hell Resident evil is well... evilish and to a degree plausible, but ppl moving trough roofs, flaming demons in the MSG IP plot... meh....

Please if somebody can help me understand tell me..... untill then ill go wipe a tear :(
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 12:07:21 am »

If you've only played MGS 1, you should probably stay away from this thread until you've played the others. Suffice it to say there is a good reason for everything. Well, a Kojima good reason.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 12:49:24 am »

I just too a reading on the MSG saga, im a visual guy so all the reading got me mixed up, but im getting the heavy points on the plot, i just wonder all these demonic stuf will be introduced since the reading from wikipedia did shed any light on anything similar. Unless they are tied to these nanomachines used to ehance and control them ( to some degree ).

If it comes out on PC i will most likely get it as i wonder what will happen to snake ( One of my favorite character, all game mixed up ).
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 07:24:54 am »

I thought it was pretty much confirmed that they were one game?

Both part of MGSV but two separate games. Check it.

Jocan the game is called the "Phantom Pain". I wouldn't be surprised if some of this was "all in your head" type stuff.

Plus MGS has always had ridiculous supernatural elements (Psycho Mantis, Vulcan Raven's ravens, etc) so I'm not sure why think this game is going in a new direction as "Devil May Metal Gear Cry" or something?
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Javier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 11:10:26 am »

I can easily accept mutant beast out of failed experiement in a setting that is modern, hell Resident evil is well... evilish and to a degree plausible, but ppl moving trough roofs, flaming demons in the MSG IP plot... meh....

Please if somebody can help me understand tell me..... untill then ill go wipe a tear :(
Haven't seen the new trailer, but if you're talking about the flaming whale, pretty sure that is Psychomantis playing around.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 01:06:13 pm »

I'm pumped as fuck. I need to get around to playing MGS4, actually.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 01:38:22 pm »

If you all really want to know what's going on with The Phantom Pain, we already know that

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
No Gods, No Masters.