Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: soldier (cannot follow order)  (Read 1864 times)

thebigJ_A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
soldier (cannot follow order)
« on: October 08, 2010, 06:23:42 am »

Every time I assign activate/training to my squad of marksdwarfs they all say "soldier (cannot follow order)". I can't figure it out. They've got bows, and quivers equipped, and there's plenty of wood ammo assigned for training around. They have more archery targets than dwarfs, which they even use occasionally when they're inactive.

I have a common barracks for both my squads. The archers are set to only sleep there, and train and store personal/squad equipment in the archery room (whatever "squad equipment" is). I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I have one archery room set from one of the targets (like how you set a barracks w/ one bed). Do I need to set each target individually?

Thoughts?

thebigJ_A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: soldier (cannot follow order)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 07:56:40 am »

I fixed it, though Idk why this worked. I had the whole archery room set to "training" as well as the eq storage. I was messing around trying to fix it, and used a weapon stand in the room to set a barracks the same size as the archery room, also set to training/eq storage.

Right away the smug little buggers, just to rub it in my face, gave an archery demonstration!

Anyone know why this worked but the original setup (which followed the wiki) didn't?

Mikehpoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 08:57:25 am »

I've always had problems with marksmen, half the time they would train and half they time they wouldn't. setting them to station near captured goblins was the easiest way to make sure they would train non stop.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 10:28:30 am »

I fixed it, though Idk why this worked. I had the whole archery room set to "training" as well as the eq storage. I was messing around trying to fix it, and used a weapon stand in the room to set a barracks the same size as the archery room, also set to training/eq storage.

Right away the smug little buggers, just to rub it in my face, gave an archery demonstration!

Anyone know why this worked but the original setup (which followed the wiki) didn't?

That's strange, usually my archery squad works just fine having archery targets to practice on.  Did you check that the archery target's direction was correct?  I.E., if you wanted them to fire from right to left, you had to change it from saying left to right. 

thebigJ_A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 08:44:30 pm »

I've always had problems with marksmen, half the time they would train and half they time they wouldn't. setting them to station near captured goblins was the easiest way to make sure they would train non stop.

Well, since there's no gobs in my version, that wouldn't work. Good to know for the future, though. Do they actually shoot at the gobs?

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 12:39:42 am »

something that I've noticed is that if your marksdwarves don't WANT to do archery practice, say they want to give a striking demonstration, they HAVE to have a regular barracks designated, that is, just because you have an archery range, doesn't mean they're not still gonna want to practice other things too

and yes, they will shoot at any goblins they see
this is another one of the uses for training room
if you danger room train up a couple of goblins, and let them keep their shields, then bam, instant archery practice :P

edit: even better if you make the training room IN the pit, so once they're in the pit, you never need to move them again
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 02:40:18 pm »

something that I've noticed is that if your marksdwarves don't WANT to do archery practice, say they want to give a striking demonstration, they HAVE to have a regular barracks designated, that is, just because you have an archery range, doesn't mean they're not still gonna want to practice other things too

and yes, they will shoot at any goblins they see
this is another one of the uses for training room
if you danger room train up a couple of goblins, and let them keep their shields, then bam, instant archery practice :P

edit: even better if you make the training room IN the pit, so once they're in the pit, you never need to move them again

Just a quick note, in case anyone is searching for why their marksdwarves are saying "soldier (cannot follow order)"...this advice is dead on.  They're trying to do other kinds of training than just archery and need to marked "T" in one of your barracks.
Randy...