Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alot of Questions  (Read 517 times)

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
Alot of Questions
« on: May 27, 2011, 05:50:17 pm »

1) What does <CLT> in a workshop name mean? Does it mean cluttered?

2) On the left side of the screen, what is the S and C stand for? Are there any other letters I should know?

3) How do you turn a Weapon Dwarf (IE: Hammer, axedwarf, etc.) into a weapon lord?

4) Are cut gems useful in any way or are they just for trade?

5) How do you automaticly set so that when you construct a group of beds and set a room for one, that all dwarfs will use the bed in that room?

6) How do you increase the Dodge skill?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 05:53:46 pm by hitty40 »
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Alot of Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 06:02:28 pm »

1. It does mean cluttered; dwarves will work more slowly in a cluttered workshop. The more cluttered it is, the more slowly they'll work.

2. They mean, respectively, that there are new sparring reports and new combat reports since the last time you entered the (r)eports screen. Sparring reports are, obviously, created by sparring dwarves, and combat reports are created by non-sparring, non-hunting combat. There's also the possibility of a green H that signifies new hunting reports, which, obviously, are created by combat due to a hunter hunting.

3. You let them become more skilled. When they get a skill up while they're active military and have (after the skill up) at least Great level in a weapon skill, they'll become a weapon lord. Note that, while they lose the Lord title after switching to civilian status, they do not lose any skill.

4. You can encrust items with cut gems, which increases the decorated item's value. Since cut gems don't have any quality modifier and decorations do, this increases your fort value.

5. You set the bed which is used to define the room to be a dormitory.

6. You arrange for your dwarves to dodge attacks, or have them watch dodging demonstrations. Combat and sparring will cause occasional dodges, as will a danger room (which is technically combat), which involves setting training spears in upright spike traps, setting them to trigger repeatedly, and letting your prospective soldiers stand around on them and get poked a lot. Note that danger rooms are actually dangerous if your dwarves don't have armor, so make sure that at least the torso and head are covered on any danger-room trained dwarves.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Alot of Questions
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 06:07:03 pm »

1) What does <CLT> in a workshop name mean? Does it mean cluttered?

It's cluttered.  This causes jobs in the workshop to take longer than they would otherwise.  There are many different levels of clutter, depending on how much is in the workshop.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Clutter

2) On the left side of the screen, what is the S and C stand for? Are there any other letters I should know?

C means Combat has occurred.  S means Sparring has occurred.  Press 'r' to read detailed reports of what has happened.

3) How do you turn a Weapon Dwarf (IE: Hammer, axedwarf, etc.) into a weapon lord?

Not sure, I've never seen it happen, but it may simply be something that happens when they are skilled enough.

4) Are cut gems useful in any way or are they just for trade?

Cut gems can be made into gem windows, which are useful for making animal-powered watchtowers.  You can also use them to encrust furniture, finished goods, or ammo, making them all more valuable.

5) How do you automaticly set so that when you construct a group of beds and set a room for one, that all dwarfs will use the bed in that room?

I think you just set it as a Dormitory.  Press q, select the bed, press r, size the room, then press d.

6) How do you increase the Dodge skill?

I suspect that a danger room will do this.  I think that sparring will raise it as well.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.