Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A Dusting of Annoyance  (Read 1773 times)

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Dusting of Annoyance
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 01:15:31 pm »

POUR MAGMA ON IT

Actually I do believe magma removes mud, so I might be serious :P
Did I not say PAINT IT WITH MAGMA!   >:(

:P

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 06:11:50 pm »

If you make an area of smoothed stone/construced flooring a meeting area, dwarves will usually be quick to clean it up.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 12:09:29 am »

It'd be nice if you could use dye to change the colour of stone, for symmetry purposes.

I support this idea. It would give me a reason to actually use my dyers shop, or to buy dye from elves. mysteriously discover it in my trade depot.

Dwarves don't use dye. What are you, an elf?

Yes. Yes they do. Why is this even a thing? Why do some players feel the need to claim that only an elf would ever [blank]- blank here meaning every thing in the game that isn't using a pick or making things of stone. And one of these days I'm going to find someone bitching that mining is elfy, and that real dwarves huddle in little surface caves naked and living off of dirt, because that's the only real dwarven way. Seriously, I wonder how bland these people's forts are- nothing but raw pump helmets, and unfurnished rooms. Dull dull dull. Dwarves have STYLE. They're MASTER CRAFTSMEN, of COURSE THEY USE DYE. Rich and fascinating colours in strange and deep symbols, monolithic stone thrones and intricately carved wooden figurines of a plaintive dying dog that make you WEEP.

True dwarves don't live in hovels or pathetic caves, they huge deep mountain halls and fill them with riches and beauty. Dwarves don't drink to become the disgusting drunken retches that human teens are, no. Alchohol gives them no drunkeness, it expands their tastebuds to new levels, and at every meal a Dwarves knows fine cooking if divine.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 12:13:11 am by Cespinarve »
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 12:18:34 am »

Yeah. If I'm digging out a close-to-the-surface-completely-stone fort and I suddenly hit a nice, big chunk of DIRT.

I rage. I rage hard.

Typically i can stand a vein of somthing else in my dining hall. It adds character but dirt will not be tolerated in my fortress!

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 12:24:00 am »

Yeah. If I'm digging out a close-to-the-surface-completely-stone fort and I suddenly hit a nice, big chunk of DIRT.

I rage. I rage hard.

Typically i can stand a vein of somthing else in my dining hall. It adds character but dirt will not be tolerated in my fortress!

But I like having a few dirt rooms in my fort. It gives me a place to stick my egg producing birds and some potential tree farms once I hit a cavern. Now having my front entrance being just dirt walls and floors is a whole 'nother story...

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 01:04:32 am »

^
Thats why i like to embark somewhere with hills, if that's not possible then i usually end up tearing up my entrance and replacing it with stone from the bowels of my city.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 01:32:58 am »

My dwarves (in .25) so rarely clean mud it remains on smoothed or constructed floors for years. Even when there is not much of it. I find it to be more feasible to construct something (mentioned animal traps are good for that, Trapping need to be enabled) and then remove it, than waiting for dwarves to clean it.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 03:22:03 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Real dwarves decorate their walls with dye using the help of a nearby river and ~SCIENCE~! Bonus points if you can actually decorate the walls and not have a random paint.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 07:13:42 am »

Dwarves have STYLE. They're MASTER CRAFTSMEN, of COURSE THEY USE DYE. Rich and fascinating colours in strange and deep symbols, monolithic stone thrones and intricately carved wooden figurines of a plaintive dying dog that make you WEEP.

Awesome.   :D
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2011, 10:27:35 am »

i generally dont bother with smoothing stone other then smoothing every room just to train my engraver

once a room is smoothed, i dig out the walls and construct new walls from blocks and place stone blocks on the floor... much neater

dont like that i cant engrave those though :(

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 03:11:34 pm »

i generally dont bother with smoothing stone other then smoothing every room just to train my engraver

once a room is smoothed, i dig out the walls and construct new walls from blocks and place stone blocks on the floor... much neater

dont like that i cant engrave those though :(

So... then.. what... exactly is the point of you training an engraver in the first place? A simple devotion to really nice slabs?
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2011, 12:04:19 pm »

But I like having a few dirt rooms in my fort. It gives me a place to stick my egg producing birds and some potential tree farms once I hit a cavern. Now having my front entrance being just dirt walls and floors is a whole 'nother story...

You don't need dirt/grass for egg producing birds, unless you've got some elk birds breeding. Chickens/turkeys/ducks/etcetc don't graze.

At least, not yet... guess we shouldn't give Toady ideas. But I like to think that they live on the little bugs that scurry around underground or on the surface or whatever.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2011, 10:20:37 pm »

Paint.

Paint would be cool. Trade it off the humans. We like humans.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2011, 05:48:56 am »

Frankly, I like the designs of mineral veins in large, mined out rooms. Once I've smoothed it of course. After a while, my engravers really do not have enough to do with their time, and if there's one thing I can't stand it's an idle dwarf. Get back to laboring for my amusement!
Pages: 1 [2]