Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Too much...  (Read 670 times)

Tetragenic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Too much...
« on: May 26, 2011, 09:25:21 am »

Well. My fort has too much cloth, food, but no metal except gold and zinc. Ideas for what I could do?

I have:
2 Legendary Clothiers
2 Legendary Chefs
2 Legendary Marksdwarves

The Marksdwarves bring in so much meat (hunting) that I'm overflowing.
The elves bring too little cloth.
And even with everything and mmaking Lavish Meals on repeat, I'm running out of room.
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Dwarven Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Too much...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 09:26:45 am »

wait for goblin Christmas, also dig more room out for storage space.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 09:27:44 am »

Make cloth crafts, to free up cloth bins. Buy anvils with proceeds(melt). Heck, sell the meat, its tradeable.
 Make bone crafts, even armor if you are that desperate. With that much butchering, you are going to have beaucoup fat. Make a fat stockpile next to the depot. Then when you get ready to move trade goods, first chose sort by distance. Unload the fat on them.
 Another is to produce stone pots in the craftshop. They hold much more than a barrel.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 09:38:17 am by Fredd »
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Tetragenic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 09:30:42 am »

Oh. Second problem. No wars.
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Dwarven Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 09:33:11 am »

Cross-train your legendaries to do something else, or just set them to hauling, while the rest of your good are converted and/or traded. Trade that stuff for raw metal or the weapons and armor you need. Probably fuel too.

And once you make those into clothes, make them available to your dwarves. They will chew through a good 50 socks and shoes and what not quicker than you'd think.

Oh. Second problem. No wars.

Just wait. If you haven't messed with the .ini, your fortress wealth just isn't high enough, or is high enough and Goblins are more than likely already stalking your map.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TheIcelandicManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 09:43:13 am »

And once you make those into clothes, make them available to your dwarves. They will chew through a good 50 socks and shoes and what not quicker than you'd think.

how do you do that?
Urist McHappy has entered a fit of euphoria!
Urist McHappy hugs the Fish Cleaner in the upper body, jamming his love through the brain and warming his callous heart!
The Fish Cleaner has been taught the value of friendship!
Sigged

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 09:44:24 am »

Just wait. If you haven't messed with the .ini, your fortress wealth just isn't high enough, or is high enough and Goblins are more than likely already stalking your map.
That assumes goblins aren't extinct in his world and they can travel to his site.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 09:54:16 am »

I am also overflowing in food as well. I think it tends to happen to most late forts.

Anyways, sell your food to the dwarven caravan and buy steel with it.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 09:55:55 am »

Stop the hunting. That solves the meat intake issue. Tell the clothiers to prepare enough ropes to make a tapestry mega-project.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 12:11:51 pm »

Digging can solve all of your problems. Just keep digging. Designate more miners if you want. Make sure to dig down plenty, but also explore horizontally for metals.