Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Assigning/taking away weapons?  (Read 532 times)

gannggstaz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Assigning/taking away weapons?
« on: May 23, 2011, 10:11:49 pm »

I have a proficient wrestler who was a-wrestlin. One day, I forged a steel spear for my speardwarf and the wrestler takes the spear. The speardwarf took a steel hammer so my hammerdwarf was left with a copper spear. What can I do to assign weapons, or take them away from at least the wrestler? http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Wrestler here it says"About all you can do is take away a dwarf's weapons to encourage wrestling and hope that he picks effective wrestling tactics in combat.". How do I take away a dwarf's weapons? I've tried going to the inventory and dumping and forbidding the weapon, but this has no effect

gannggstaz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Assigning/taking away weapons?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 10:16:54 pm »

well I feel silly now. Assigning weapons is obviously a military ordeal and is chosen under the military->equip menu

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 10:26:28 pm »

For the record, if you forbid and mark an item for dumping at the same time, not much will happen. The dump order tells a dwarf to come to the item, pick it up, and take it to a garbage dump, while the forbiddance tells your dwarves not to pick the item up under any circumstance and to ignore jobs it produces. A forbidden weapon will just remain in the wielder's hands because forbidding it doesn't stop them from holding it. You can strip dwarves of weapons by dumping them if you have a garbage dump zone someplace, however, if the weapon isn't forbidden.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 10:30:50 pm »

For the record, if you forbid and mark an item for dumping at the same time, not much will happen. The dump order tells a dwarf to come to the item, pick it up, and take it to a garbage dump, while the forbiddance tells your dwarves not to pick the item up under any circumstance and to ignore jobs it produces. A forbidden weapon will just remain in the wielder's hands because forbidding it doesn't stop them from holding it. You can strip dwarves of weapons by dumping them if you have a garbage dump zone someplace, however, if the weapon isn't forbidden.

quoted for win, it took me a while to figure this out on myself back in the day

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 02:36:08 am »

Dumping like this is the only way to get back weapons or other items a dwarf has 'bonded' with as well.  Otherwise for items not attached to the dwarf you can always just remove dwarves from the military entirely to get their uniform back for reassignment (to the right guys this time).  I do something like this whenever I want to decorate my dwarves armor.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 03:41:33 am »

Dumping like this is the only way to get back weapons or other items a dwarf has 'bonded' with as well.  Otherwise for items not attached to the dwarf you can always just remove dwarves from the military entirely to get their uniform back for reassignment (to the right guys this time).  I do something like this whenever I want to decorate my dwarves armor.

Or you can wait for him to dump it in favor of better one. I really don't see why people have problems with dwarves attaching to their weapons. I have the opposite problem (though also resolvable) - dwarves dump their named masterful steel weapons and armor in favor of worse, but more expensive adamantine versions. Some of my attached weapons were in hands of four consecutive owners, as recorded by their kill list, and I never forbid or dump weapons.

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 03:43:57 am »

thing is, after a while a dwarf will become attached to a certain weapon, and won't upgrade, even if its a training sword, and theres a masterwork cotton candy stick right next to it
s/he'll even give it a name and such
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 09:42:20 pm »

wooden sword
give it a name and such

The BITCH STICK
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 10:03:24 pm »

Remember, dwarves are dumb. Follow your orders exactly. To get them to rearm/armor with a better item, just go to their inventory, order item to be dumped. Then, on that dwarves equipment list in military, remove the piece of armor, or weapon. Wait a bit, while they run around, and dump it, then assign them a generic weapon,armor, of the material you want it made from, on their equipment list. They lose the love, and you can reclaim it later. Whey will still try to bet better quality items made from the material, as in uniforms assigned.This just makes a alteration in the uniform assigned them.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration