Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: eatrocks  (Read 665 times)

eddyg86

• Bay Watcher
  • b.marley 'donsit on ur pride -just get hiiidodobdo
    • View Profile
    • grimmwold - rp server i play dwarf called Blig - uo
eatrocks
« on: May 24, 2011, 07:46:13 am »

ok, i see your faces, eat rocks, is he mad, it is ambition of our ancestors, yet it is still, not good for the end result is as crunchy as the beginning.

alright.

i got this idea as i was eating a candy. it had sugar crystals, presumably, but i was tasting salt, as it was a foreign licorice, which often have salt. however, what was in the licorice, if any of plant matter at all, was probably gum arabic or gelatin. the outside, when put under magnification were glucose and salt crystals.

well, dwarfs compact everything as a measure of disposing of large quantities of random objects, apparantly, and seemingly have errr recently mastered alchemy, hows about rock salt crushed up into a food item? what type of salt is edible? how bout magnesium powder? good for brain and bone, or a life saving preserver, food substitute. magnesium powder, yum.

how about, ah, i dont know of any other edible mineral types, yet i may be missing something obvious. feel free to discuss.
my fortress is full of kitties

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: eatrocks
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 05:41:22 pm »

(Those are made of sugar)
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 12:42:02 am »

No, I think you're mad because you carefully use periods and commas but not one capital letter. A deeply disturbed mind.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 08:04:06 am »

capitals are obsolete, a German linguistics and literary expert a few centuries ago already predicted they would fade out of use once everyone learned to read and write, and his prophecy is slowly coming true thanks to the interwebs

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 08:20:21 am »

Salt, though it is edible, has almost no nutritional value, so adding it would be mostly pointless.

Maybe if it was added as part of a larger 'spices' update, where you could gather certain plants and materials and turn them into flavourings at the farmer's workshop (or something like that) to give your dwarves happy thoughts from eating better-tasting food.
[Signature]

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 10:04:29 am »

Salt, though it is edible, has almost no nutritional value, so adding it would be mostly pointless.

Salt is extremely valuable- it's one of the minerals we need constantly in our diet to live. Why do you think people fought wars over this? We don't need much, about 200 milligrams a day, but without, we start suffering from salt deficient and then die. Prehisotric people understood this. To quote from Bill Bryson's At Home "Ancient Britons, for instance, heated sticks on a beach, then doused them in the sea and scraped the salt off. Aztecs, by contrast, acquired salt by evaporating their own urine."

WE NEED SALT
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."