Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ADV mode realistic healing and other misc ideas  (Read 937 times)

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
ADV mode realistic healing and other misc ideas
« on: May 24, 2011, 05:54:56 pm »

Instead of fast traveling right after you are injured for an insta-heal, there should be more realistic healing, for example. If you get a cut in battle, you should be able to use rope, or even better, string to stitch the wound shut so you can continue adventuring without the wound reopening. Similarly, breaks should be able to be treated with splints so you can still use the broken limb. For more serious wounds, either your friends, could drag you, or you could crawl to a hospital and wait till you are fully healed by a doctor. For the hospitals, and adv mode in general, there should be an improved waiting option so that instead of hours, you can wait for seasons, or years. This would make the legends of your adventurer more realistic, instead of having a character go out and kill 70 important entities in the course of one summer.

On a side note, you should add a modified history generator for adventurers that is similar to the starting thing in liberal crime squad. Although characters could customize their stats in the beginning, they would be able to choose form randomized options about their early life that would effect their appearance and or the respect they are given by the locals upon starting adv mode. For example: you could be a bad child who plays pranks and beats other children and then start out with very little respect. Or you could be a dream child who starts out with lots of respect. You might even add an option where, as a young man, you decide to go out into the wild and it could simulate whether or not you kill anything. In this way, legends mode would have a record of your parents and early life, instead of having a nobody who is suddenly an accomplished swordsman and kills a lot of bandits.

THis is a lot of stuff, but maybe you could add it to the development page and hopefully get around to it. You guys are awesome and i swear you are of divine parentage. :D Dwarf fortress is the most addicting game i have ever played, and i actually set my playstation controller aside for an ascii (i don't even know if i spelled that right) based game!!!
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
Re: ADV mode realistic healing and other misc ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 07:06:48 pm »

Instead of fast traveling right after you are injured for an insta-heal

Insta heal got fixed in 2010, basicly, you keep your wounds until they heal while traveling, so if you get your ribs completly mangled, win the fight and then Fast travel 1 square your ribs still will be mangled(maybe some might of healed to broken depending on your recuperation stat).

there should be more realistic healing, for example. If you get a cut in battle, you should be able to use rope, or even better, string to stitch the wound shut so you can continue adventuring without the wound reopening.
agree, and planned

Similarly, breaks should be able to be treated with splints so you can still use the broken limb. For more serious wounds, either your friends, could drag you, or you could crawl to a hospital and wait till you are fully healed by a doctor.
planned

For the hospitals, and adv mode in general, there should be an improved waiting option so that instead of hours, you can wait for seasons, or years. This would make the legends of your adventurer more realistic, instead of having a character go out and kill 70 important entities in the course of one summer.

planned for when adventure mode justice, there will be a longer waiting option for when you are in prison etc

On a side note, you should add a modified history generator for adventurers that is similar to the starting thing in liberal crime squad. Although characters could customize their stats in the beginning, they would be able to choose form randomized options about their early life that would effect their appearance and or the respect they are given by the locals upon starting adv mode. For example: you could be a bad child who plays pranks and beats other children and then start out with very little respect. Or you could be a dream child who starts out with lots of respect. You might even add an option where, as a young man, you decide to go out into the wild and it could simulate whether or not you kill anything. In this way, legends mode would have a record of your parents and early life, instead of having a nobody who is suddenly an accomplished swordsman and kills a lot of bandits.

planned for both adventure and dwarfmode

THis is a lot of stuff, but maybe you could add it to the development page and hopefully get around to it. You guys are awesome and i swear you are of divine parentage. :D Dwarf fortress is the most addicting game i have ever played, and i actually set my playstation controller aside for an ascii (i don't even know if i spelled that right) based game!!!

there is an old devlog page for longterm goals but I don't have the link :/. mind you it is a lot of reading
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 07:16:11 pm by tHe_silent_H »
Did you know that if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it in a mirror, it will say pie? And if you divide 42 by 3.14... you get 13.37!

It is incredibly satisfying to kill a man with a butterfly.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 08:23:42 pm »

i'm still playing 31.18 till the tombs thing gets added. so i'm not quite up to date about the game. Still, the on the go medical help seems like a good idea.

Also, after you add the cottage/domestic choice for adv mode there should be a way to get married and have kids. There doesn't necessarily have to be sex, and actually, with the text based format it would be really awkward if it were included, but if you have a companion, or just a common person who you talk to a lot, then you could marry them, and, if you area  girl, you can decide, if you are a guy, you might wake up one morning and your wife will tell you she's pregnant, or you could talk to her and say , "lets have a baby". It would be hard to work out the relationship thing, because i foresee glitches where you become a legendary hero and then get married to whoever you se first, which is unfortunately somewhat realistic.

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 08:53:38 pm »

also, i think it would be cool if you could earn a deity status in adv mode and instead of retiring ascend. but maybe we adventurers are just too arrogant. :D

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 08:57:39 pm »

i'm still playing 31.18 till the tombs thing gets added. so i'm not quite up to date about the game. Still, the on the go medical help seems like a good idea.

Also, after you add the cottage/domestic choice for adv mode there should be a way to get married and have kids. There doesn't necessarily have to be sex, and actually, with the text based format it would be really awkward if it were included, but if you have a companion, or just a common person who you talk to a lot, then you could marry them, and, if you area  girl, you can decide, if you are a guy, you might wake up one morning and your wife will tell you she's pregnant, or you could talk to her and say , "lets have a baby". It would be hard to work out the relationship thing, because i foresee glitches where you become a legendary hero and then get married to whoever you se first, which is unfortunately somewhat realistic.

Planned.

May I recommend that you look over the dev page? It contains most of the stuff that's planned in the future.

also, i think it would be cool if you could earn a deity status in adv mode and instead of retiring ascend. but maybe we adventurers are just too arrogant. :D

This one intrigues me, but probably should remain a minor detail until religion is actually implemented other then insignificant deities doing nothing. It should only happen if you follow a religion, obey the deity, and die. For example, if you joined the deity of fish, harming fish would not allow you to enter deity status.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 07:09:13 am »

i read the dev page, this is basically all the adv stuff that popped into my mind afterwards. I might have missed the marriage thing though.