Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't Produce pig iron  (Read 1072 times)

feorh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't Produce pig iron
« on: May 22, 2011, 10:43:11 pm »

I have: DF v 31.25, huge fort, working magma smelter, piiile of iron, piiile of charcoal, piile of marble, yet i don't have an option "make pig iron bars", whyy?
Can it be because charcoal does not have enough kick in it to act as a fuel and i have to search for coal\lignite?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't Produce pig iron
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 10:48:37 pm »

Bituminous coal or lignite cannot be used to make steel without first being refined into coke, which is exactly the same in every way except the name to charcoal. That isn't the problem.

The problem is that sometimes smelters fail to recognize that materials in stockpiles are valid for their reactions. Other times, they fail to recognize that materials not in stockpiles are valid for their reactions. And occasionally, both problems are true. You can have everything you need, but still be unable to give the order at the smelter because it doesn't realize that you have everything you need for no apparent reason.

The best workaround is to simply give orders through the job manager.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 10:49:25 pm »

Did you forbid any of them, on the stock screen? If not, have the manager assign the job, and check for access to the stockpiles
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 11:46:20 pm »

Try the following:

1. Pause the game.
2. Forbid and then immediately unforbid 1 iron bar, 1 charcoal and 1 marble in your stockpiles. This should clear any task assignments these items have.
3. Do the same for 1 iron bar, 1 charcoal and 1 marble NOT in stockpiles (just in case it's a stockpile problem as NecroRebel says).
4. Try placing the pig iron bar job in the smelter.

If this doesn't help, try placing the job through job manager. If even that fails, it's probably a bug.
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

feorh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 06:46:08 pm »

Manager assignment worked for me, thx to all!