Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ambushes and Peace  (Read 1021 times)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ambushes and Peace
« on: June 26, 2011, 12:55:46 pm »

I've been getting ambushes from local goblins, though I'm at peace with them. Will wiping these out, and frankly, I've been doing a pretty good job with everything except the bloody bowmen, whom I'm soon to start drowning with an overhead 'sprinkler' system.

Anyway, will wiping them out, by whatever means are available, eventually cause a loss of peace with the Goblins?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Ambushes and Peace
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 01:28:07 pm »

'Peace' status with the goblins doesn't tell you anything useful.  Goblins are coded to always be hostile, regardless of whether the civilization screen thinks you're at war with them or not.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 02:51:35 pm »

'Peace' status with the goblins doesn't tell you anything useful.  Goblins are coded to always be hostile, regardless of whether the civilization screen thinks you're at war with them or not.
It isn't hardcoded. Vanilla goblins are always hostile because of the babysnatcher and item thief tags, if you remove those you can be at peace with them normally (though it requires further modding to make them trade with you)
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 05:14:12 pm »

The little P-sign in the civ screen doesn't show the entity's relation to you but to the nation you are highlighting at this moment.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 07:05:56 pm »

Goblins are a nation of sociopaths; they find it unthinkable not to torture for fun, for instance.  Peace with them basically means they are not, at the present, at the walls with an army led by whatever gibbering horror leads them. In the olden days (before my time), they brought caravans in the winter, implying that each of the great races rules a season, and that dwarves own autumn; the time of melancholy and drunkenness.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 11:35:38 am »

Ah, well, I figure I'm at peace since I got a Gobbo caravan the second year. Now I'm getting Ambushed. I'm totally okay with peace going away, and sieges coming, but I just want to know if killing the Ambushes will change the status.

I don't really mind the Ambushes, at least, not the melee ones. The Bowmen seem to have a knack for killing my soldiers though.

du3lingdragon

• Bay Watcher
  • only robots will eat your babies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 12:12:48 pm »

get a moat, build a drawbridge, problem solved