Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do layers "repeat"?  (Read 756 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do layers "repeat"?
« on: May 27, 2011, 03:35:58 pm »

You know how you get stone layers in an order, like, first soil, then limestone, then slate, then diorite, etc? Do layers near the top come round again further down?

I ask this because, due to lack of planning on my part, I used a lot of the limestone layers for building and only had one left for mining leaving me extremely short on fuel. I am loathe to mine around my existing fortress, it makes everything look ugly and confusing. I have 162 layers to go at underground, so surely layers must come round again.

Do I have any hope of another few limestone layers to mine for all they're worth?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: Do layers "repeat"?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 03:44:32 pm »

No, sedimentary is only near the surface.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

ferok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 03:49:24 pm »

I'm not exactly sure how to answer this...

Limestone is sedimentary.  In general, this is going to be near the surface.  Once you've hit diorite and slate, it's pretty safe to say that you wont find more sedimentary layers below them.  However, depending on your biome distribution, hills, and other factors, they may not extend the full width of the map so you may have luck in other areas.

Limestone is flux, and often contains malachite (iron).  It is also possible to find lignite and bituminous coal in limestone (like all other sedimentary layers) which can be made into coke (fuel), but Limestone is not, itself, fuel.

I hope that answers your question.  If not, see http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Sedimentary_layer and http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Layer.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 04:04:00 pm »

That's annoying, I'm not going to find any more coal or lignite now. Trading and burning trees it is! Annoying.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

hiho216

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 04:12:33 pm »

That's annoying, I'm not going to find any more coal or lignite now. Trading and burning trees it is! Annoying.

Maaaaaagma
At least we humans don't engrave things or put images of events on our stuff as much as dwarfs do. We'd have murals of presidents being assassinated and such all over D.C. as well as your standard cheeseburgers, Pontiac TransAms, and insects.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 04:19:53 pm »

If you get confused by having the space around your fort mined out due to the fact that you have random open floors out there instead of black space, you could solve that problem by removing those floors, too. Having your fort hanging in a large open void is more aesthetically pleasing than having several layers of random floor symbols or + signs, and isn't very confusing as your eyes will slide past the dark-grey .s nearly as easily as the black squares.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 04:44:14 pm »

Wait, if layers don't repeat, what are the 162 levels below the surface in my fortress made from?

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 04:46:17 pm »

Stone, stone, more types of stone, Caverns, Caverns, Caverns, stone, stone, stone, Magma, Pain.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 04:48:45 pm »

Stone, stone, more types of stone, Caverns, Caverns, Caverns, stone, stone, stone, Magma, Pain.

Which types of stone, though?

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 04:51:25 pm »

That really depends on where you are, but your going to see igneous or metamorphic stones down below the first few layers.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Stone
We cant tell you exactly what your going to see, since dwarf fortress has random environments.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 04:56:13 pm »

So basically every kind of layer except sedimentary? Dammit, Dwarf Fortress :P

Silophant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 05:13:48 pm »

Dammit, geology, more like.

Limestone is flux, and often contains malachite (iron).

Malachite is actually a copper ore.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 05:15:59 pm »

Usually, the surface layers are any of the 4 types of stone, but after a bit you stop getting sedimentary stones, then stop getting igneous extrusive, then finally metamorphic stones stop appearing somewhere between the third cavern layer and the magma sea. Below that point, there's only igneous intrusive stones, usually gabbro or basalt.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!