Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: All right, bogeymen or Boogeymen kill my adventurers 4 times in a row!  (Read 1079 times)

Scintillescent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello folks! :D

I'm just wondering anyone can help me since my adventurers got killed 4 times in a row!

I even follow the adventure quickstart guide.

I would gladly get companions but they are not willing to join me such as peasants.

Ale and Axes

• Bay Watcher
  • Chug - Swipe - Cheer
    • View Profile

Gotta take things slow sometimes. If a quest is so distant from towns that I'd have to spend a night in the wilderness, I don't do it until I have companions. If I can't get any easy short-trip quests from one place I move on to another part of the region and try there. I'll come back later to do the quests I skipped.

Sometimes you get hosed and you'll start in a town that's a long way from any other settlements and you can't reach anywhere without risking bogeyman attacks - in these cases you just have to suck it up as bad luck.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels

If you absolutely have to travel further than you can get in a day to reach the next settlement, and can't find any allies, it sometimes helps to sleep during the day and sneak along toward your destination all night.  This takes a long time, since you can't sneak in travel mode, but sometimes the bogeymen don't notice you, and sometimes you can outrun them if they do.  And it really increases your skill at sneaking!
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

jrmy

• Bay Watcher
  • on break
    • View Profile

If you have to actually fight bogeymen, be smart about it - if you've got enough speed to just outpace them, use that to your advantage and always be one step ahead, taking shots at their legs to incapacitate them one by one. If you don't have enough speed for that, I guess you could try setting your attack to charge using the c menu - you'll miss them, but the resulting collision will cause them to be knocked over for a few steps, giving you decent opportunity to retreat further or strike off a limb.

Of course, you'd be better off altogether by adventuring with at least one buddy.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Work on your speed. Spamming throwing rocks will slowly increase your speed. Thinks it must increase agility also. A macro for it is easy to make. Its like what fighter pilots always claimed, "Speed is Life".
 Also, if you have just unloaded a bunch of goods at a shop, visit craft shops, and buy highvalue, low weight goods. Coins will slow you down. Added bonus is when you move to a new area, coins from other areas are not wasted in trade, but can sell the low weight, high value goods, for supplies.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile

Are you not finding any forts with soldiers? Soldiers will join you almost always, but the random villagers will usually not join you until you become at least somewhat famous.

If you're not finding forts with soldiers in them, try generating a world with a short history. (When I use the worldgen parameters in the quickstart guide I've always gotten enough forts with soldiers.)

Really though, if you've only died four times so far, that's not too bad. I think I died about 20 times before figuring out what i was doing.

(And yea, companions are a pretty important part of the quickstart guide. Without them you are likely to die many many times before managing to single-handedly kill something that will give you the fame needed to get villagers.)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 12:14:15 am by ral »

Scintillescent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wow, thanks everyone!  I really appreciated it! :3