Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The world has passed into the Age of Heroes!  (Read 2211 times)

Philosoraptor

• Bay Watcher
  • It's a philosopher! No, it's a raptor! No, i-AAGGH
    • View Profile
The world has passed into the Age of Heroes!
« on: May 18, 2011, 08:59:01 pm »

What causes the world to advance ages? I have been slowly and methodically slaughtering all the night creatures and monsters of the world and I got this message just as the new year came around.
Softer than a baby dwarf's beard.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Re: The world has passed into the Age of Heroes!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 09:04:12 pm »

Primarily the number of megabeasts and demons alive, and their respective kill-lists.

You entered the age of heroes because there were still enough megabeasts for adventuring to be fun and interesting, but there was a certain percentage that had been killed. I'm inclined to believe that it's 80% killed, but I'm not too sure.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Philosoraptor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 09:19:51 pm »

The timing makes me think that it checks the percentage of megabeasts and monsters alive every year, but the fact that it entered the age of heroes is what I'm more curious about. Aren't there other ages it could have entered? I doubt there are more heroes than monsters now so I'm not sure.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 09:41:12 pm »

The Age of Heroes doesn't so much count the number of heroes as it counts the percentage of living monsters, I believe. I suppose in that sense the name is a bit of a misnomer. You could reach it with a fort full of lyemakers and miners, just by dropping a cave-in on any megabeasts who show their ugly heads...that would take a while though.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 09:48:58 pm »

I had the golden age, once! :D
But it was a Fortress Defence world, and just about everything was dead except for frogmen and elephants. :/
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kynrael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 12:08:03 am »

I never went past the Age of Myths, but I've only been playing for a few months, no mods (aside graphic).
I'm sure my region is sort of free at least, I did quite a scourge of bandits and monsters.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 03:59:45 pm »

You've not played DF until you've reached the Age of Emptiness.

Or, of course, the DWARVEN AGE!
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Philosoraptor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 10:03:17 pm »

Apparently according to Legends, "The Age of Heroes was a time when the last of the powers fought their final battles."

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 06:50:02 am »

I think you might trigger the Age of the *Creature name here* if you killed off all the other major powers present in the world.
Then whatever is left will rule the world! Until you find it and kill it of course.

Then it's probably to Golden Age.
Maybe Fairy Tales. Can't remember how the ages work again.

I hope though that at some point we'll get some more variety to 'em.
Every world I gen always finishes at Age of Myth. Legends and Heroes is hard to get when I crank the Titan numbers to the MAX because of the fun they provide.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 06:57:48 pm »

The age of Fairy Tales and the age of Twilight are perhaps my favorites that I strive to reach, as fairy tales requires about 90% humans and 10% dwarves, elves, and fantastical creatures. Twilight is cool because it's going out with a whimper and not a bang, plus twilight is a melancholy word. It really is.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 08:54:04 pm »

The age of Fairy Tales and the age of Twilight are perhaps my favorites that I strive to reach, as fairy tales requires about 90% humans and 10% dwarves, elves, and fantastical creatures. Twilight is cool because it's going out with a whimper and not a bang, plus twilight is a melancholy word. It really is.

I just like the word Twilight.

I wish Stephanie Myer hadn't fucked it up for the rest of us. Let's start the Committe to Liberate Inky Twilight.

Wait...
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Kynrael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 12:19:37 am »

Twilight is indeed a beautiful word.
But what are the prerequisites to get to the Age of Twilight ?

Oh, and with next update coming, we might have more ages... Like the age of the Necromancer or something.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 03:37:52 am »

Quote from: Toady One in 2008
    "I finally saw a world arrive at the Age of Fairy Tales, which happens if mundane creatures (ie humans) make up at least 90% of the world's civilized population with the requirement that there are still a few fantasy creatures lurking around. In this case, it was a kobold cave that their scouts never found. I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen."

Ironically, that does seem to be the basis for a lot of Fairy Tale stories :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti