Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: All my fortress are empty  (Read 1036 times)

Couchmonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
All my fortress are empty
« on: May 21, 2011, 07:02:40 pm »

Hej,

I tried hard to find some soldiers to join me, but all forts I visit are empty and full of badgers...
Help? :(

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: All my fortress are empty
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 07:18:26 pm »

It seems that there were some world generation starvations. Or alot of them. Just keep searching and revel in the post-apocalypse.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Couchmonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 07:28:32 pm »

There is also no dwarfen population to chose :(

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 08:45:04 pm »

So it seems your entire world is post apocalyptic. If you really want stuff just generate a new world, they're a dime a dozen.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 10:30:50 pm »

On the Wiki, there is a good quick start guide for adventure mode. One of the gems is how to generate a good world, for both modes. Basically its this;
 World size Medium
 History Short
Number of Civilizations High
Number of sites High
Beasts medium
Mineral occurance frequent
Your choice on savagery
Occasionally you might get a world with no dwarves, just create a new one. Also try out the utility DFusion. In it you can equip your companions. Also gives you an excuse to trade for human sized armor, and weapons, keeping your craftdwarves busy. If you like elf adventurers, please ignore the above, YOU HIPPY!
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 03:44:32 pm »

all your fortress are belong to us

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 03:50:08 pm »

[...]empty and full of badgers...
Schroedinger's Badgers, eh?

:)

Couchmonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 07:42:52 pm »

Empty of companions / soldiers ofc :)

Couchmonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 09:56:38 pm »

Ok... I created a new world and looked over the historical figures.... there are NO dwarfs at all... huh?

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 12:08:09 am »

Does your world have no mountains for some reason? Dwarves need mountains, but you should have plenty of those if you used basic world gen (as opposed to advanced world gen with some wacky parameters).

Actually, high savagery can also retard civilization development because civs need medium or low savagery areas to develop. Even with high savagery you should have a good bit of at least medium or lower areas but still, high savagery can make things more difficult for civs.