Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Use For Memory Attribute (Adventure Mode)  (Read 2743 times)

mars7a

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
Use For Memory Attribute (Adventure Mode)
« on: May 18, 2011, 05:15:42 pm »

Countless times I find myself unable to remember if my journey north to an outlaw camp is a near one or a two day one. Maybe my adventurer can remember for me!

The memory attribute would tie in with the option to remember previous conversations, creature descriptions, engravings and possibly item location. When the memory attribute is average, there is a 60% chance that you will forget what you are trying to recall, and a 40% chance you will remember. Lowering or ascending the attribute will make the chances to remember smaller, or larger, respectively. Any injuries to the head could lower the percentage of being able to remember.

This idea is sort of absurd, but I would personally feel it would be a nice addition to the game.

Maybe you guys could help me flesh it out?

FGK dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Use For Memory Attribute (Adventure Mode)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 02:08:54 am »

It could influence your ability to remember maps of sites, and maybe the travel map in general. It's kind of absurd how you can treck through forests in thick fog without getting lost...

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 02:13:01 am »

Rather than a % chance to remember, why not make it so that the better the memory, the greater list of events that could be kept in the adventurer's mind (recent events history).

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 05:56:16 am »

Perhaps higher memory would just have more detailed descs. If you have low memory, you will remember "In 100 I killed a cheetah." but if you have great memory you would recall "In granite 26 of 100 a cheetah attacked me. I received several minor wounds to my lower leg. I butchered the cheetah, and received a large amount of meat. I made it's skin into a quiver."

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Urist McAddict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 09:10:44 am »

I also see many other mind attributes going this way too, spatial sense for instance, would make map readings more/less accurate, memory restricting a log of things would be nice too...
Wonder when we'll be getting the ability to engrave things with important facts just like we make with dead ppl and slabs...
I have having most of my masterwork statues about anything killing dwarfs, i doubt it'd give good thoughts to any dorfs...

Artanis00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 06:23:25 am »

An idea for range (skills are 0-100, right?): 0 memory means little or no short term to long term transfer, 100 is eidetic, and, of course, a normal distribution between these extremes.

Wonder when we'll be getting the ability to engrave things with important facts just like we make with dead ppl and slabs...

I was just thinking myself that once paper and writing goes in, there could be an action to commit a memory to writing. Assuming even an individual with terrible memory had reasonable recall of things that happened yesterday, he could jot down a note and later refer back to it.

Assuming he remembers he wrote it down--and where he put it afterwards--of course.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 06:20:25 am by Artanis00 »
Git - fast, efficient, distributed version control system
Github - Free public repositories, issue tracking, wikis, downloads...

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 05:35:02 pm »

An idea for range (skills are 0-100, right?): 0 memory means little or no short term to long term transfer, 100 is eidetic, and, of course, a normal distribution between these extremes.
IIRC elves and goblins both have exactly 5000 memory with no variation between individuals. Having the immortal races have eidetic memory would make sense.

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 02:37:27 pm »

IIRC elves and goblins both have exactly 5000 memory with no variation between individuals. Having the immortal races have eidetic memory would make sense.

That's almost a bit scary, I mean, they remember... eeeveeerythiiiiing. Such a species would likely never need to develop writing, simply pass on all information orally in the exact format received
In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.